The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
COMING: Log Limit

Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Feature Requests View previous topic
View next topic
COMING: Log Limit
Humanzee

Post COMING: Log Limit Reply with quote
Can you insert an option to limit the number of records returned in the logs. A field maybe that you can enter a value in. It takes a long time to load the logs page after a week or so. A select first 500 __ etc. Also the process filters there are not session independent.

vCrib Tester #1, Forum moderator, using INSTEON devices, X10 sensors and remotes via W800RF, All doors are wired with contact closures.
vCrib Wiki
Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:29 pm View user's profile Send private message
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Um, check the vcrib.ini. That option is already in there. I don't like the log code though as when it refreshes it pulls in the whole log again. I need to implement paging so it only loads what is displayable on the screen, which would be hundreds of times faster. I know all the grid code has to be replaced in .NET though, so I have never wanted to spend the day or two required to code paging.

The other log feature would be to be able to put in a start date and time to review older logs without having to scroll back. Plus, since there is a log limit, you don't have the option to scroll back far enough anyways, so the old entries are kinda worthless as is.

Now if you are talking about auto pruning the table to keep it small, that is yet another option which has not really been contemplated, but will be necessary at some point.

Also, the GUI/Admin clients only show the unified log now, but Audit, Command and Action logs are still kept and used, but not displayed as logs. I use them for conditions and history on the different screens. And now I am thinking about a trigger queue and log table so triggers and actions can be fired from the DB level instead of the massive code it takes to parse the log tables.

But for now, the log limit should help the Admin/GUI load faster.

Vaughn

Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:12 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
What is the unit there? I asumed the number of row in the log. I dropped the count from 300 to 10 to test but on restarting and switching to the log tab it still loads a tone of stuff. Is it rows, minutes, hours, days?

vCrib Tester #1, Forum moderator, using INSTEON devices, X10 sensors and remotes via W800RF, All doors are wired with contact closures.
vCrib Wiki
Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:58 pm View user's profile Send private message
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
The logs also don't respect the "show in logs" checkbox. I have turned this check off, for when motion senors send the OFF command. But they still show up in the logs.

vCrib Wiki
Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:07 pm View user's profile Send private message
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
It is the number of rows. It was written against the Audit, Action & Command Logs, some things got broke when I switched to the Unified Log. It is all so different now. In 0060, the DB writes most of the logs and although I fixed the Unified Log respecting the Show In Logs option, I have to fix it again in the DB when it writes logs, which I am doing this morning. My last test run showed 7 bugs that need to be fixed before release, so I will be addressing them now.

I also learned how to run multiple databases at the same time and to backup and move data between them, so I am hoping you all be be able to test new versions without even taking your old version offline! So I am hoping testers will be able to see the new changes and help debug them sooner and with less risk. I will put together a little DB guide on how to do this soon and hopefully testing will be forever changed =)

Ping me when you get some time and we will play with it.

Vaughn

Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:00 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
Cool! Can't wait to check it out. Send me that phase coupler so I can have some more fun Smile

Clever image to be inserted here soon.... Smile
Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:17 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Ok, Logs are all fixed up. For some reason I hard coded 500 lines into the unified logs even though the LogSize variable was read from the ini ok. I changed it to use the ini setting. Also the order of the log entries occurring within the same second was displaying out of order. I reordered them properly and the logs make much more sense now. Things like occupancy changing and auto arming/disarming the house could generate up to 6-8 log entries in the same second, now you can follow the logic flow so much easier.

Sorry this is taking so long, but the reality is that the system was a mess after the last few major changes, and then all the DB work made even a bigger mess of it all and I have been going over every single part of it and changing anything that that I did not think worked exactly how I wanted. This next version will make the previous versions look like I was drunk when I wrote them. You won't see very much at a cosmetic level, except for things will work better. Keep reading the sticky on the release forum as I am still updating the changes to 0060 on there. I probably have 50 undocumented little changes, but adding everything major there that I remember.

Vaughn

Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:02 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Feature Requests All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: