The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Open Source

Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Feature Requests View previous topic
View next topic
Open Source
bronxmad

Post Open Source Reply with quote
Hello everyone! Ive been digging this forum for a few hours and it searching for the answer to this question:
Why isnt this program open source yet?
Thank you!
Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:19 pm View user's profile Send private message
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
That's a great question, I don't know the answer to that.

I do know that if you or anyone is interested in improving/expanding/adding on to this software, Vaughn will be more than happy to work with you!

Clever image to be inserted here soon.... Smile
Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:39 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
The VB6 apps that run the master process may have some proprietary coding or logic that the author is not yet comfortable releasing not to mention that it is likely not documented or fully commented so that it is easy to make sense of. We don't even have a user manual yet, though I've started working on that. The core apps are all slated to be re-written in .net and then released, I think. Also, we don't want to release source when we are still testing and working on improvements that sometimes involve making significant architecture changes. The .net applications should /will be open source and certainly the api will/is be open to anyone interested. Source code is posted for the latest weather app, and the winamp plug-in already.

In lieu of releasing source and working on documentation Vaughn has been programming fixes and features. I for one, never complain when there is progress happening under the hood. However, I am not an eager programmer waiting for source.
So basically to answer your question, because it isn't ready yet.

If you want more info on source or how to contribute, please get in contact with Vaughn. He holds the keys and may well be willing to give you a ride. Very Happy

vCrib Tester #1, Forum moderator, using INSTEON devices, X10 sensors and remotes via W800RF, All doors are wired with contact closures.
vCrib Wiki
Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:31 am View user's profile Send private message
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
All that is true but there are other issues to consider.

There is also a legal issue. Many of the apps were written by adding vCrib hooks to existing sample or demo apps released by the hardware manafactures or 3rd parties and their code is copyrighted and can not be modified and redistributed.

Another reason is that I provide an SDK now, so you don't need to do much to interface to the system.

Some of vCrib is Open Source. The DB is open and completely usable any way one wants. A couple apps are open source too.

So I think the direction we are going to go is to release source on some of the interfaces, so any one can see them and learn to code against the system. Master and other core apps are not going to be released to retain my options for the future.

Vaughn

Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:42 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Another thing I considered is if someone wants the source and is not even a user, they are probably just wanting to rip parts off for their own home grown system. Until I am prepared to compete with people using my own code, I am resisting.

People also just blindly asked for all the code, with no reason. If a user said hey, I want to fix up phidgets.exe and soup up the analog features, then I would probably just give them the source. But putting it all out there for no reason will bring no good things for me, I think.

No one to date has shown proper interest to inspire me to release all the source. But expect more source to be released, probably for Phidgets, BT, SMTP, etc.

Vaughn

Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:47 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Feature Requests All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: