The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Vista or Win7 Media Center

Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Feature Requests View previous topic
View next topic
Vista or Win7 Media Center
Talryyn

Post Vista or Win7 Media Center Reply with quote
I am a very heavy user of WMC (Windows Media Center), and we use xbox 360's to get content to other rooms. I would love to see something that we could work into WMC, it would be cool to use a 360 in another room to adjust the temp of the house.

The 360 takes care of the audio and video naturally since it is an MCE, but adding voice would be really cool.

I am not sure what is needed to make any of this work, I will have to find more info over the next few weeks and see if I can work on something along this line.

I have seen a few commercial plug-ins for MCE, but it is usually a please buy our $2,000 server bundle deal. Well we all already have the hardware.. Wink
Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:17 pm View user's profile Send private message
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
Hmmm, I don't know the answer to that question. I used to have PC's in each room but that ran up the electrical bill and was noisy. Not to mention having to maintain tons of costly PCs. Trying to get the wife to use the PC's was like pulling teeth

I took everyone's advice and switched over to SageTV, so I can't give any advice for ya Sad

Clever image to be inserted here soon.... Smile
Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:52 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Talryyn

Post Reply with quote
What I do is I have a main PC that is the media server, so it is connected to the satellite and does all the recording (skips commercials as well - saving disk space), has all of our pictures, music, etc. It is also a so called "green" computer, the motherboard has that smart power saving wizardry.. lol So normally for example the cpu is only drawing 5W, during gaming it jumps up naturally. But when it is recording TV or streaming to another room it is only 7W. (that is the just the CPU, I have yet to measure the whole system)

In other rooms we use the 360, it will access all the data via media center, so we can use it to watch live TV, recorded TV, music, etc. Now these are 175w machines, but I am not sure what they draw during just media playing. I run the 360's wired (ethernet) as I have found it is hard to get the HD content over wireless without some frame drops.

I did find this: http://www.life-ware.com/ as an example of what is possible.
Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:09 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Feature Requests All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: