The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Helping Out

Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Virtual Crib Development Chat View previous topic
View next topic
Helping Out
chad

Post Helping Out Reply with quote
Hi everyone,

I don't know where else to put this post, but it kinda fits in the Roadmap forum. I sent Crib Keeper a PM offering my services to The Virtual Crib. I am willing to help out with web related projects, promotion of the software, possibly with the documentation.

I've always been interested in HA ever since I saw an episode of Hometime on PBS. They were doing a show on "House with Character" with a whole house system with lighting, a/v, security. What really sold me on HA was if you were watching TV and someone rang the doorbell, the dvd would pause, the lights would come up from dim to full and video feed from the front door camera would show on the TV. That was cool.

I'm not sure where to go from here, but here I am.
Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:10 pm View user's profile Send private message
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Welcome Chad Reply with quote
Feel free to download the software and start playing. You can see I just moved the new template to vCrib.com. The new template is so much better than the old site as far as maintainability. It was made with Microsoft's Web Expression. It is a simple HTML site that utilizes CSS instead of frames & iframes like all my old work.

I am pretty weak on both web coding and graphical design. I am not sure what web skills you have, but you are more than welcome to to work on this site, or any of the backend sites are are being developed to interface to vCrib itself, although those are much more code intensive.

I am hosting 2 versions of this site, the production one here at vCrib.com and the development version at the root of theVirtualCrib.com. I can also give you the whole site zipped up for you to play with. Some of the things the site needs is the new fancy embedded YouTube video options so I do not have to redirect to them, Hit counter that works well, Google ads, a background pattern for the site, a background image for the header to fill in with the logo. Eventually some RSS feeds, blogs, chat and other more common web features would be nice.

I am hosting on Yahoo and SiteGround so whatever features they support or limit will affect what we put in. I guess what you can do and want to do are more relevant than what we need. Right now with only 3 testers, people running the software is about as helpful as anything.

I could sure use a couple coders for some modules that need to be made or enhanced, like getting the weather from Weather.com using their SDK. I need some CalledID code for modems and/or NetCallerID...

Anyways, toss out some ideas of what you want to do and we will try to get you involved. We will be getting a lot of promotion in a month and will try to maximize it even more by getting messages out on other forums and blogs then, but I don't really want to draw much attention until then so we can have a nice site and a good release before the people come.

Thanks and welcome!
Vaughn

Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:13 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
metalla

Post Reply with quote
I'd like to help. I currently code in C#, so VB.Net isnt much of a stretch, just a change in syntax, and been there before.

Feel free to ask me for help, or give me something to do.

Cheers

-Chris
Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:57 am View user's profile Send private message
Talryyn

Post Reply with quote
I am learning C#, but I am better with inventing.. lol - or something

I am starting a blog (erm website) to cover my projects, so I will post plans, ideas on there. Here I will help in whatever capacity I am capable of, about a year ago I was pretty good with php but I am a bit rough now from not keeping up with it. I am getting my brain slowly around C#, have not played with VB.net yet.

Since I do not want the search engines to pick up the site yet, and I have not updated the .htaccess file to keep them out, you will have to insert the missing parts. "."

www - DIYsHome - com

www.talryyngames.blogspot.com is really for my XNA projects, which I need to get back to working on. Too many shiny objects causing distractions.
Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:35 am View user's profile Send private message
hobbes487

Post Reply with quote
Any development help would be definitely be welcomed. Now that there is a .net API to interface with vCrib, you can use any .net language. I wrote the zwave and bluetooth apps in C# so if thats where your expertise is then you should be able to get right into it.

Hopefully Vaughn will chime in here but here is what I think needs developers to help with:
1. vCrib website designer
2. web client - i started this, but i'm not that great with web development so it's pretty basic. You can find it in the Plugins section of the forum
3. weather - currently the weather app is only grabbing hi/low/current temps. We need one that can get other info like sunrise/sunset etc. There are some places out there that have this (weather.com has a SDK that can be used to grab this), but this has been pushed back in priority, but need to be done.
4. CallerID app
5. UPB app
6. 1-Wire app

Basically any type of technology that you would like to see in vCrib you can write an app to do it. You can get the vCrib SDK on the downloads page and check out the current weather app's source to get started. If you have any questions on how to use the API, just ask. We will be more than will to help you out.

Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:07 pm View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I have a caller ID app. Actually it supportd about every TAPI feature, but I don't use it since my new phones talk and CallerID comes through cable.

We need tons of stuff though. I usually just want people to work on stuff that they want to. No point in asking someone to develop UPB stuff unless they use UPB, etc. Any coder really needs to be a user too so they have an idea of how the whole system works, etc.

Besides what Hobbes listed, we also need the following interfaces needed:

xAP/xPL
Girder
EventGhost
SageTV
MCE
Weather.com or NOAA
ELK
Generic RS232
Outlook

Those are just off the top of my head, there is so much a system like this could stand to talk to...

Vaughn

Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:16 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
metalla

Post Reply with quote
Let me come back to ou then, just finished installing the machine that Vcrib will run on... So will install toda and see how we go... Very Happy
Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:21 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Virtual Crib Development Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: