The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Delays!!!

Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Virtual Crib general discussion View previous topic
View next topic
Delays!!!
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Delays!!! Reply with quote
I am having to rebuild my main machine due to that damn virus. I having to copy off hundreds of gigs of stuff so I can reload it. Then I have to get all of my tools installed again. So soory for the delays on the install video. I also have the wrong vCribAPI.dll in the 0080 install package, but I do my compiles on that machine. So I will try to find the right versions and get them posted asap.

thats for your patience.

Vaughn

Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:32 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
Vaughn,

I mentioned Ghost in the other post. But I typically partition my drive into two partitions. C drive houses windows with all installed programs, vCrib, My Docs, etc...

Partition 2 houses all of my other files (pictures, personal files, etc..)

I have Ghost just back up the C drive a couple times a week. This saves space for all for all of the images Ghost creates. Then I'm not backing up hundreds of gigs of data with each image.

Then when I get a virus, I can restore my C drive within like 15 minutes. I think my C drive is like 15-30 gigs, not completely full.

If you don't want to go the route of Ghost, I would recommend that you still split your drive in at least two partitions. Then when you need to reformat in the future, you can just format the C drive and leave all of the other partitions untouched while reinstalling windows and getting rid of the Virus that way.

I know you're an admin by trade, so you probably have super redundancy on everything and already have your drives partitioned, but I wanted to let you/everyone know how I do it to maybe save a lot of headaches in the future. I have a stack of dead hard drives I've collected over the years and I had to come up with my own system for securing my data.

Everything on my other drives and partitions that's of value to me I also have burned onto DVDs stored in a safe. If the drive dies, I'll have an offline copy as well. The thing that worries me is my new 1.5 Terabyte drive. That would take me like a month to burn off all that data onto CDs, lol. I'm thinking about just leaving that drive offline until I need to add or access it, to prolong it's life (that way it's not spinning 24/7) Icy Dock makes some pretty sweet sata hotswap drives that go into a standard CD/DVD drive slot in a computer case.

Clever image to be inserted here soon.... Smile
Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:59 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I got everything back up here. House is running, main PC completely rebuilt and upgraded in the process.

I found a few 0080 bugs in the process. I still have one bug to fix in Phidgets and then I am going to rerelease 0080. I needed to add adodb.dll to the package and a couple other little things. So this will be 0080a, not 0081.

I will have that out this weekend.

Vaughn

Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:58 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Virtual Crib general discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: