The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Remote site ping?

Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Feature Requests View previous topic
View next topic
Remote site ping?
SnyperBob

Post Remote site ping? Reply with quote
Hey guys,

Here's a problem that I have that I'd love to be able to solve with vCrib....

I download a lot of torrents. I think it's due to the router I have, but downloading torrents kills my Internet connection sometimes and I have to reset the modem/router.

I was thinking, if vCrib could ping a website, detect that the ping no longer works....then I could have vCrib shut off an Insteon Outletlinc that has my modem and router plugged into it. And then have vCrib turn it back on after 5 minutes or something.

I have a web server out of my home and host all my music, so I can stream it offsite. When the connection dies I can't access my web site any more. It gets frustrating, and the wife doesn't like resetting equipment.

Clever image to be inserted here soon.... Smile
Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:16 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
hobbes487

Post Reply with quote
I totally understand what you mean about your router randomly dying. Mine does the same thing sometimes and my wife doesn't like being asked to reset it all the time and since I travel a lot with work, something like this would be pretty neat. Rather than try to have this implemented into vCrib, which I think should be kept simple, you could write a plugin that would do this.

It would be pretty simple. The plugin would just periodically ping an IP, and then when it fails, add a command to vCrib to turn off your device and then back on. Here is a little pseudo code:

Code:

loop
{
   if(ping fails)
   {
        add command to turn OFF router;
        add command to turn ON router;
   }
}

Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:30 am View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
I was thinking too....

I would like something that shows the status of my PC's. Mainly if they're on or off. So if I could ping a list of IPs and see their status', that would be sweet.

Icing on the cake would include the ability to send a magic packet to turn a machine on thru the network. I hate having to wait on my machines to power on. If I could schedule to turn the machine on a few mins before I get home (or when the garage opens), that would be nice. I could use this for my music server too.....use a remote to power on the PC via magic packet, then once the machine is able to ping, start sending commands for music playing.

I need to conserve some power, I'm sick of having 4 computers on constantly. lol

Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:33 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I had most of this in old versions of vCrib, I can add it back in. Working on wake-up calls for Humanzee now too, so will try to tie it all together.

Vaughn

Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:49 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
Hi vaughn, I was wondering if you are going to add a remote ping thing into version 0080? In regards to what you said about wake-up calls per Humanzee's request....will that allow us to wake up machines thru the lan then? (magic packet) Will this be in 0080?

I'll head over to the 0080 feature post and see what you have there....thx

Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:05 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I might try, I am already trying to wrap up 0080 and get it out since it changed things that impact Hobbes' apps, and changed enough stuff to cause some stability issues/risks.

I can release this ping/cmdline app or features at any time even if it does not make it into the 0080 msi though and will have it before too long.

Today I got my house running well on the newest ZWave app and am very happy about it. I just have to replace some old X10 switches tomorrow and my upstairs will no longer be gimped. I'm coding and working on bugs with Hobbes too. There are some install package issues I have to get ironed out.

What I am planning for you though is to add a new device type for computer. If it pings, it will turn on the object and refresh it. It will use the new timer features we just added that the BT and Master apps are using now. Enough pings fails, the autooff timer turns the computer's object off which can trigger any type of alarms. The IP will be stored in the primary address. Later we can tie process types to computers and no longer have to name them. It is some good stuff, but will take a bit to iron out.

Vaughn

Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:20 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
I see this as a two part thing for functionality, Site ping where the server pings an address, gets back Pass or Fail. Also maybe have a shell process that you can use on a client PC. The only thing it does is report to vCrib when it is up or down. You can already use other vcrib apps to report this but sometimes you run into conflicts. I.e. my Family Room Speaker.exe conflicts with my BluRay software and crashes speaker.exe everytime I watch a movie. If there were a shell process that did not have any other system dependencies you could use it to report the online offline status of your clien machines.

I was thinking of using this to turn on and off my subwoofer with the computer. Right now it has a auto sense thing, but it doesn't power itself on until the volume is quite high. I could set the sub to manual with a relay link and just have it come on and off with the rest of the system.

vCrib Tester #1, Forum moderator, using INSTEON devices, X10 sensors and remotes via W800RF, All doors are wired with contact closures.
vCrib Wiki
Thu Mar 12, 2009 2:53 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Feature Requests All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: