The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
My wiring setup...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Virtual Crib general discussion View previous topic
View next topic
My wiring setup...
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
Humanzee wrote:
I probably would have slapped some drywall up behind there first though. That space between the studs will otherwise eat all your tools and parts.

For now the garage is not insulated, so I didn't want to go with drywall. I ended up going with peg board, which seems to work out really well. Now I have a place for all my tools. I don't have a big rolling tool chest as I don't really work on cars at all. I'm almost thinking now of just getting a huge tool set from Sears and using all of the drawers to hold the tools. I've seen people buy 1/2" foam and cut out their tool shapes in it. Makes a great cheap way to hold your tools, and shows at a quick look what's missing. Same foam type stuff in tool boxes.

Clever image to be inserted here soon.... Smile
Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:45 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
Looks like it worked out well, The thing about peg board is that you need that space behind it to allow your pegs to go through. Probably best not to have drywall with that setup.

I got one of the big tool sets for a wedding gift. It's great for the small hand tools but the big things don't really fit. I actually have three roll away tool boxes, but still need to use a separate metal locker, that the previous owner left, for all the smallish power tools. The foam idea is nice but I'm such a tool guy that there wouldn't be room for everything. Plus when I add a new tool here and there I would have to re-organize everything. As such though, my garage is currently a hopeless mess.

Throughout our remodel the focus has been on this project or that project, not organizing the garage. Now I have a pile of tools for plumbing, a different pile for drywall, a different pile for tile, a different pile for automation, etc, etc. If I had started with an organized shop, it probably would have all gone smoother but in the beginning the garage cabinets were in the kitchen and the pots and pans were in the garage. Its been a practice in shoving stuff out of the way to make room for this or that. Now that all the tools are out of the house and back into the garage its time to get organized finally.

vCrib Tester #1, Forum moderator, using INSTEON devices, X10 sensors and remotes via W800RF, All doors are wired with contact closures.
vCrib Wiki
Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:56 am View user's profile Send private message
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
lol, man I had the exact same issue. Piles of tools for each part of the job. When it started to take 10 minutes to find a pair of pliers, I got fed up and decided to work on the garage a little.

ok, I'm off to clear my logs and do a DB dump, in hopes that Vaughn will still be kind enough to update me. Smile

Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:10 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Your DB is done. Let me know if ya need any help.

Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:39 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
Thank you! I got it. I'll try it out tomorrow (today/Friday). Smile

Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:19 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
SnyperBob

Post More electrical work Reply with quote
Well, this is what I've been working on and off for the past two weeks. I decided that it was time to put some power in the basement. I'm sick of using an extension cord because we don't have any outlets down there! lol.

Well, I figured I might as well do it up right....so I built a couple walls to put the outlets in Smile

I did 100% of this electrical myself. I bent all the damn pipes, I planned out all of the new circuits, I pulled all of the wire, and I wired all the fixtures up.

I even put in two more wired-in smoke detectors:

I also put in a new panel for low voltage stuff. This thing will house the phone wiring, the ceiling speaker wiring, and cable TV wiring:

All of the above is in hopes of cleaning up and organizing this mess:

All of the outlets that are near the ground are on their own dedicated circuit. Due to flooding concerns, I will most likely leave this circuit breaker OFF until I get backup flood protection set up. I didn't want to mount these outlets higher up, I plan on eventually finishing the basement and want it to look nice. They are still like 16" off the ground.

Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:25 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
Oh, man, I'm glad that they do not require conduit for all runs where I live. Needless in my opinion. No flooding problems either. In addition to rain in Seattle we have hills, which makes flooding a non issue in most cases.

vCrib Tester #1, Forum moderator, using INSTEON devices, X10 sensors and remotes via W800RF, All doors are wired with contact closures.
vCrib Wiki
Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:04 am View user's profile Send private message
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
Yeah, conduit is a bear. They actually didn't require it when my house was built, but they do now or something. So like half my house is romex, and the other half I piped.

I just like knowing that I'll be able to pull more circuits or change the plan later with conduit. I actually used flexible bx cable for some of my stuff because it was easier for me to do than bending crazy stuff to get conduit in.

Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:22 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
Well last week I was doing some drywall hanging in the basement in the room next to the wiring closet. I was using a RotoZip to cut the outlet holes in the drywall. This tool works great, and I cut a bunch of holes with no problems.

I went to cut like the second to last hole and instead of going around the outside of the mudring, I went around the inside. Got the bit too deep into the box and chewed up all my wiring. I had like three 20 amp circuits running thru that box to the wiring closet. D'oh, now I need to redo some electrical.

At least the good news is that copper seems to have gone down. 12 guage 500 feet used to be $50, now it's $38

I cut the last two holes with a keyhole saw. More work but no cut wires Sad

Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:04 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
I just spent the weekend working in the garage. The original idea was to finalize the position of the garage cabinets. But before I could do that I needed to add conduit in the wall that I can run cable through later for automation things. Of course then I decided I had better add an outlet so that the power strips I'm going to add to the bench have a place to plug in. Then there is leveling of the cabinets on the uneven garage floor. bracing for the new counter top, etc. etc. It's easy to get a case of the "while I'm at it's". So I made a route to run a 220 line for the compressor and derived another route for hiding its air line so that it will connect with a retractable coil in the ceiling. Added a GFCI for most of the garage outlets.

So it all took lots of time and I only got a few things accomplished. Put something in, then take it out, repeat. Three days later and I still can't park in the garage. But it looks like there may be light at the end of the tunnel.

vCrib Wiki
Mon Apr 13, 2009 11:35 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Virtual Crib general discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: