The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Weather Box Update

Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Virtual Crib general discussion View previous topic
View next topic
Weather Box Update
SnyperBob

Post Weather Box Update Reply with quote
Hey guys,

How do I get the weather box to update? Or, how often does it update on it's own?

I entered my city, state and zip into the location tab. The weather box is checked for the first floor I entered in. The settings are 13500 and 0 for weather box. I figured out the 13500 is the weather box location. ah, seems they are x and y coordinates.

So, having said that, what is the refresh rate for the weather box? Is there some way we can make this variable/configurable. Since I'm not running it full time yet, I want it to refresh faster so I don't need the program open for hours (if that's how it's currently set, I don't know).
Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:08 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
You should see a weather update event in the Events.exe in the left log box. I do not log that event to the main log because I am updating it every couple minutes and don't want to spam the log.

Are you and Humanzee consiring against me now? He keeps hitting me up for that damn interval to be configurable too! Smile

Vaughn

Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:16 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
I think the interval is at like 3 minutes currently. I've been bugging Vaughn because I could do with something a little less frequent. It's not like the temperature for my city is exactly what it is in my back yard. Its approximate, so I can deal with hourly updates or something less frequent anyway. AFAIK, it only shows the current weather. The 5 day forecast etc will need to be worked out in a feature request. I think Vaughn is looking for somebody to re-do the entire weather module so that we can do such things as irrigation schedules, etc.
Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:31 pm View user's profile Send private message
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
I'm still having problems with the weather box not updating. I think it's showing Vaughn's info for his local still. Box says last updated 09-12

Here's what I've tried:
1. entered my city, state, zip for the default location, as well as the one I created (upstairs).
2. disable user security is checked
3. I clicked the save button
4. I also created a user named Bob. Now one the Main tab it shows Bob as the user, but the pass is blank. What is the default pass for new users? All that I see in the pass field of the Users tab is the character *. Also I can't edit the username or pass on the Main tab, is this normal? I only have 1 created user (Bob)

In the video tutorial you created a user by just typing in a username, no pass.

Either way, I'm not sure if a user is associated with weather updates, especially if I checked 'disable user security '. Any ideas why this isn't working?
Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:27 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
I think all you really need is zip for weather. Dunno why its not worknig for you. Another reason that the weatehr stuff needs to be re visited.
Disable user security should be on the users tab. If you put in a password for your user account and then restart the vcrib.exe you'll have to select a username on MAIN and enter your password before any of the other tabs will work.
Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:15 pm View user's profile Send private message
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
Humanzee wrote:
I think all you really need is zip for weather. Dunno why its not worknig for you. Another reason that the weatehr stuff needs to be re visited.
Disable user security should be on the users tab. If you put in a password for your user account and then restart the vcrib.exe you'll have to select a username on MAIN and enter your password before any of the other tabs will work.

Ok, that's cool. As with anything, as long as there are plans for eventual work on it....I'm cool with waiting until that day comes. For now weather.com manually looking up the weather is fine for me.

If the weather module was rewritten to allow watering and whatnot, that would be 1337!

Smile
Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:11 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Bob, although work needs to be done, it is enhancement work. Your weather should be fine. Is the Zip saving? Are you running Events.exe? Do you see weather event every few minutes in there? Does the Master process show the surrent time or an alarm on the Settings tab?

Also, feel free to sent me your zip, etc and I will plug those values into my copy.

For user, yeah, just put in a name, you can use a password if you want enable security. Humanzee is spot on, the only thing you should be able to do on the main tab is select a user and enter a password to unlock the config tabs if you have security enabled.

Anyways, good news! I am not even going to tweak weather. I am paying to outsource a full implimentation of the Weather.com SDK. So soon we will have much more weather info.

Vaughn

Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:41 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
pomprocker

Post Reply with quote
i went to turn the weather ON on the events tab and the program crashed with an invalid array index

Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:16 pm View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Not sure what you mean by turning it on from event tab. You don't turn weather on or off... It runs automatically based on the timer interval in the Master application.

Vaughn

Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:52 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
pomprocker

Post Reply with quote
lol I don't know what I meant either.

See you have to have someone who doesn't know anything about vcrib to do your regression testing and try and break it Wink

Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:58 pm View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Weather was its own app before it got moved into Master, so some people's databases may still have the Weather process and all the Events, Actions, etc that go with it.

The best way to delete all of those is to just delete the Weather process, and it should cascade down and clean up most of the related tables.

Vaughn

Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:00 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Virtual Crib general discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: