The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
obfuscated

Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Feature Requests View previous topic
View next topic
obfuscated
pomprocker

Post obfuscated Reply with quote
after using vcrib for a few weeks now, i must say that vcrib is very obfuscated.

in object oriented apps, abstraction is key.

I would like to see a scheduler add-on that would abstract having to know which vcrib tabs to go to, and in what order.

I'm sure this has already been suggested, but I'd like to vote on it.

Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:23 am View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
It's better now then it was when I started with vCrib. Very Happy

Its probably a lot more work to create an abstraction layer for vCrib that would both meet your desires for simplicity and be flexible enough to add the levels of customization and complexity that make it appealing to users like me. What do you want to accomplish with the scheduler? I can schedule an action in seconds with the existing interface. Do we need more use scenario's and tutorials?

As far as obfuscation, there are probably more tabs than are needed visually in admin.exe, that is an unfortunate result of a vb limitation on the number of elements that can be in any one place. We are not trying to hide anything, items land on different tabs because it seemed like the best place to store that information at the time it was added. However, for simple stuff you can work vCrib almost entirely out of the Object and Action tabs. When you add objects the commands conditions and events are all created for you. In most cases you don't need to look at them. If you want to add complexity to your actions you may want to add additional conditions and variables. The complexity is necessary for the level of control that we enjoy. If you haven't already read through the terminology, have a look at each of the 6 main concepts in vCrib.

http://www.thevirtualcrib.com/wiki/index.php?title=Terminology I don't know what we could remove or simplify in there and still retain an effective system. That being said, I don't believe there is anything stopping someone from creating an add-on to abstract the obfuscation. Shocked

What we need help in, is documenting the areas that you find confusing. I understand how most of vCrib works, so i don't notice such things anymore. Do we need more video's? I agree, its not necessarily like a game that you can figure out just by playing with it a little. But its free, and it works for me.

vCrib Tester #1, Forum moderator, using INSTEON devices, X10 sensors and remotes via W800RF, All doors are wired with contact closures.
vCrib Wiki
Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:53 pm View user's profile Send private message
pomprocker

Post Reply with quote
A calendar possibly?

example:

double click on some tuesday, add a new event called 'trash night'

set the times and any alarms/notifications you want

repeating or single event: repeating in this case

and done.

Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:35 am View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
hobbes487

Post Reply with quote
I agree it would be pretty cool to have some sort of calendar where you can schedule actions. It would definitely be more user friendly. That kind of functionality already exists, but not in that form. I would vote for something like that to be added once everything is stable.

Also, remember Admin.exe is still using legacy VB code. It is the last app to be converted to .NET. When this happens it will open up a lot more options for things we can do. I think Vaughn is trying to get everything else stable before tackling the conversion to .NET for Admin.

Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:28 pm View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I have wanted to add a calender type feature for a long time, and there are threads about it. It is one of the top priority requested features and I still plan on adding one soon. This last updated changed many time related functionalities, and I did not want to try to get it all in at once.

I am also looking at .NET Windows Workflow to visulize more advanced logic.

There are some issues I have never quite decided how to tackle yet, like cleaning up and cancelling scheduled events.. but nothing I can't get through.

You request it and it makes sense, I will code it.... The more people agree we need something, I will do it sooner... So maybe next release will have scheduling for sure then...

Vaughn

Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:39 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Feature Requests All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: