The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
A question about the weather?

Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Virtual Crib general discussion View previous topic
View next topic
A question about the weather?
Datahead

Post A question about the weather? Reply with quote
As I have not much to do over winter break Vcrib has become my project till spring semester starts. Now that I have the sysem up and running and have been reading through the post on the forum I have more questions than answers. Never the less, I have spent the better part of twenty years programing macros into remotes and setting up other automation system before I retired and I will have to say with a little work and some interface work you have a winner here. Not that you don't already... LOL...

The question I have at the moment is: What application / hardware are you using to aquire the weather data for the weaher variables in Admin?

For furture plans, have you considered an interface / weather station. One of the things I want to do is monitor things such as electrical usage, Charge rate on Solar batteries, and other green technology and have the system atomimosly control the house. So I will have more interface questions. Perhahs once I get a handle on how Vcrib gets its data in the programable variables I can build these interfaces.

Intill my PLI, W800RF, and other hardware come in I am mainly working on the human interface. I.E. Voice control. I am going to have wait on the phigit stuff for a month or so as money is tight but were making progress.

Thanks
Ron

Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:17 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
hobbes487

Post Reply with quote
Currently, vCrib gets the weather data from the internet using your zip code. It was yahoo weather, but I think Vaughn has updated it to use the national weather service. There is hardware available to set up a weather station, but nothing interfaced with vCrib yet. The most popular is probably 1-wire. I have been wanting to get some of this hardware and make an interface to vCrib, but have not had the time. Hopefully sometime soon. This would add a lot of cool functionality to vCrib. So many things could be triggered by real time weather information.

Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:51 am View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
Brian, you forgot to mention your power usage monitor.

http://thevirtualcrib.com/phpbbdir/viewtopic.php?t=309

tisk tisk

vCrib Tester #1, Forum moderator, using INSTEON devices, X10 sensors and remotes via W800RF, All doors are wired with contact closures.
vCrib Wiki
Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:59 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Virtual Crib general discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: