The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
A quick Question about CMDline or Key Commands

Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Virtual Crib general discussion View previous topic
View next topic
A quick Question about CMDline or Key Commands
Datahead

Post A quick Question about CMDline or Key Commands Reply with quote
I have Vcrib loaded on my XP-MCE machine. If I load winamp everything goes wacko with my MCE as in the MyMovies part of MCE and MCE in general goes nuts. Bottom line is WinAmp is not an option with MCE.

I have set up a command to open Windows Media Player to a playlist which works great. The issue I m having is I cant figure out how to setup commands for the Play,Stop,Pause,FWD,REV functions once Windows Media Player has been opened. So basicly Media Player just sits there and waits for me to hit the play button. I was considering using Event ghost but not sure how to even do that as that is another piece of softwaare I need to get better with.

Has anyone done this and if so how did you do it? Any help would be greatly apreciated.

Thanks
Ron

Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:01 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
http://support.microsoft.com/KB/241422
http://nircmd.nirsoft.net/
http://wmpkeys.sourceforge.net/

And of course its probably worth the time to figure out event ghost, I use it for all my home theater controls.

vCrib Tester #1, Forum moderator, using INSTEON devices, X10 sensors and remotes via W800RF, All doors are wired with contact closures.
vCrib Wiki
Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:55 pm View user's profile Send private message
Datahead

Post Reply with quote
Thanks Humanzee:
Through trial and error I managed to get event ghost to run the commands, (At least when I tell it to execute the command in EG.) Still have some issue getting a command line to work in Vcrib. I think it has to do with the fact that I am in another program other than WMP when trying to run the command. That being said, it has given me the opportunity to get better with EG, so all has not been lost... LOL... I am looking at it from the stand point that working with Vcrib will not only improve my computer interface skills, but also give me a chance to perhaps do a little programming of my own. I am considering taking a few programming classes in the fall as I am in school anyway, it couldn't hurt.

I find it very interesting that I spent 15+ years working with systems such as Crestron, AMX, Elan and of course the many brands of programmable remotes, and I see more potential in this software than any of the fore mentioned product out there. There is a steeper learning curve with Vcrib, but its no worse than trying to make a pronto remote stupid proof for a rack of 15 pieces of equipment that a 70 year old women is going to operate... LOL... (Long story, been there done that)

I'm going to try the WMP keys application and see how that works. Thanks for the links, there is some great information there.

Ron

Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:21 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Datahead

Post Reply with quote
Well after many atemps to get windows media player to interface I gave up, as I have spent far to much time and effort on it. Much to my suprise with a "Oh crap I hope this works" I reloaded WinAmp and set the library only to my music files and I am not having the issue with MCE and My Movies applications.

On the bright side it wortks, and I feel very well versed in Event Ghost... LOL Still don't know exactly why it would't work but I just wanted to thank everyone who helped me out. Now its off to other things one can do with Vcrib... Thanks again! If anyones figures this out I sure would like to know, but as WinAmp seems to be working I am not going to worry about it to much.

Ron

Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:53 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Virtual Crib general discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: