The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
V9, how to create a one off action?

Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Virtual Crib general discussion View previous topic
View next topic
V9, how to create a one off action?
Onethingafteranother

Post V9, how to create a one off action? Reply with quote
Hi Guys,

I've got myself confused!!

How do I make an action that will only run once? This is the situation I am having trouble with and I suspect it will be solved by mastering the occupation function, which I haven't yet Embarassed

I pull onto my drive, it's dark, BT recognises my phone and an x10 movement sensor see me. I want the action to be turn on the small light by the door (CM11 X10). How do I set this up so that it only comes on the once when I first arrive? I just can't think how. Obviously, I don't want it coming on when I'm in the house (baring in mind I do not yet have movement sensors in every room), it's dark and somebody walks past the drive. At the moment it comes on every time a neighbour walks past. Is there a simple, 'do this once in 24 hours' command as getting rid of all the neighbours is a big job!!!!! Very Happy
Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:04 pm View user's profile Send private message
Art

Post Reply with quote
What is this BT to which you refer? British Telecom? If so how does that fit in to the equation? Am I missing something?

You X-10 motion detector is pretty much a self contained unit. I don't really think that it can be modified (in it's actions)
by vCrib. In other words...if it "SEES" motion...it reacts ON. After a user adjustable timer delay, it goes off and stays
off until it detects motion again....Repeats as necessary.

If it were possible to set an extended timer delay, way beyond the normal reset period, that might suffice.

The X-10 floodlights do have some user settings in the compartment underneath the unit but I don't think these will do
what you're looking to accomplish.

Wish I had better news or maybe someone else can approach with a different angle.

If you just want to turn on the porch or foyer light, simply use your remote control (keep in car) or the keyfob device
and manually press the button. Don't know the UK equivalent but here in the US there is the HR12A (PalmPad Remote)
or the PSR01 (Security/Home Automation Remote Control).
Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:03 pm View user's profile Send private message
Eatmeimadanish

Post Reply with quote
I would focus on the BT proximity, since the motion detector would make sense to turn on the light every time. For BT proximity, have the HERE event from the phone mark the OCCUPANT [you] as here. Ignore the GONE event. Have the OCCUPANT timeout [auto off] after 30 minutes [1800 seconds] if no HERE event is triggered. This way as long as your phone is pinging the here command it will say you are here and not re-trigger the light. Make sure you tell the light to only turn on when the occupancy changes and then turn off automatically after an interval.

Now the caveat, in my system for some unknown reason my auto off's are not working. Vaughn any suggestions?
Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:43 am View user's profile Send private message
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
Is the goal to have the light come on only for you?

In my experience the BT will not detect me until I am well inside the house, past a number of other sensors. Of course my computer is not near the door. I just have my porch lights come on at sunset and stay on till 11:00 or so. then they will come on again with any outside motion.

vCrib Tester #1, Forum moderator, using INSTEON devices, X10 sensors and remotes via W800RF, All doors are wired with contact closures.
vCrib Wiki
Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:37 pm View user's profile Send private message
Onethingafteranother

Post Reply with quote
Hi Art, thanks for the reply, but as Eatmeimadanish suggests, the BT I mention is for BlueTooth.

Eatmeimadanish, that sounds to me like the correct path to follow. I will have a go and let you know how I get on. Especially on the auto off and if it is an issue for me.

Humanzee, my BT detects me before me before I get near the door. But I have the delay of pulling off the road (very close to the actual house) rather than the more common longer driveways you guys have over there, or at least that's how it appears for the films I see on the tele. Then I have to squeeze along side the house and a fence, so this delays my entrance, by which time I have already been announced.

We already have a security light that baths the drive in soft light when it gets dark and comes on full when there is movement, but ideally I would like the door / porch light to come on for 30 mins or so when BT detects myself or the misses phone and that's it, unless of course I activate it by remote. I think the idea suggested by Eatmeimadanish will do the trick.
Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:04 pm View user's profile Send private message
Eatmeimadanish

Post Reply with quote
Humanzee: Most BT adapters work at about 30 ft. However there are some with antennas that work up to 100ft. I bought a cheap one (posted the model on the wiki) about 20 bucks that works about 100 ft. Since my system lives under the stairs, it is close enough to the front of the house that it picks me up well before I pull in the driveway. I have the door unlock for 4 minutes, and that gives me ample time to walk in.

OneThing: You will want to play with the auto off time. There are points in the house where my phone isn't detected or missed. You don't want that setting off the door when it comes back in the range. 30 minutes to an hour is probably the best threshold.
Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:06 pm View user's profile Send private message
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
The one problem i have with BTP is that when i pick up the phone and make a call I walk around the house doing what ever. inevitably I go in and out of range for the sensor and thus I appear to vcrib to be here and away and here again with in short order. One way around this is to set a variable to increment upward when the here event is detected. You'd have to make a condition that would limit the action to run only when that variable value is 0. Then reset the variable to 0 late at night or early in the morning. This way the event will run only once per day. I used this technique with my bedroom curtains, They would open when we came home in the afternoon, but we wanted the motor to run only once upon detecting motion in the bedroom. Thus the variable and counter method.

To combine with your wife's phone you could have two variables to use in your condition.

Though I wonder about your desire to only have the light work for family members. Is your motion annoyingly triggered by folks on the sidewalk or something?

I thought about using BTP to open my garage doors, but decided that would be too unpredictable for my purposes and we have remotes in the car for that. I like the door lock idea, but we always enter through the garage anyway.

vCrib Tester #1, Forum moderator, using INSTEON devices, X10 sensors and remotes via W800RF, All doors are wired with contact closures.
vCrib Wiki
Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:57 pm View user's profile Send private message
Onethingafteranother

Post Reply with quote
Yeah, the reason I only want the light to come on via vCrib and remote x10 control is the public pathway being to close for the movement sensor to miss. Our drive, besides the house is just long enought for to cars parked bumper to bumper and the pathway runs by at the end of it. The sensor is placed near the path end of the drive to sense any possible would-be-crims!!!! I will eventually adjust mask the sensor to eliminate passers by, b ut even so, I don't want the door light coming on every time someone posts mail or anything like that. The light is just for us or when we want to illuminate people that we answer the door to. Other people can be welcomed by just the security floodlight.

I am going to move some of this thread to the bug section as I am also having an issue with the timeout not working, or more to the point, the actual recognition that the status has even changed to 'on' on my light on vcrib when it is triggered, but it does update when I turn the light on by remote control.
Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:13 pm View user's profile Send private message
Eatmeimadanish

Post Reply with quote
Humanzee: Isn't it easier to just have the event [PHONE NAME] HERE invoke a Occupant is Here command. Then just set that Occupant's auto off for say 30 minutes to an hour. This way the Occupant will remain here even if you wonder for short intervals outside of your BT range. But if you are gone for more than an hour, it will generate the command again because the Occupant is Gone.

You can also setup separate occupants and phones the same way. You can even define additional conditions, say do not invoke the command if motion is detected in the house.
Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:46 pm View user's profile Send private message
hobbes487

Post Reply with quote
Eatmeimadanish wrote:
Humanzee: Isn't it easier to just have the event [PHONE NAME] HERE invoke a Occupant is Here command. Then just set that Occupant's auto off for say 30 minutes to an hour. This way the Occupant will remain here even if you wonder for short intervals outside of your BT range. But if you are gone for more than an hour, it will generate the command again because the Occupant is Gone.

You can also setup separate occupants and phones the same way. You can even define additional conditions, say do not invoke the command if motion is detected in the house.

This is exactly the way BTP was meant to be used. Since devices can come and go unpredictably, they should be tied to occupants and the occupant should have its own logic for here and away. BTP is only meant to notify vCrib each time it detects the device, then you can use that info to assist in knowing if an occupant is here.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:27 pm View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
Yes, but the example I was using was to have the light come on only once per evening per user, I thought that was a requirement for some reason.

The problem for me and using BTP tied to user occupancy is the occupant time out resolution. I.e. If you have a half hour time out on an occupant, your exit action may not fire for a half hour after a person leaves. The shorter you make the time out, the more likely you are to have a false negative. Maybe I need a better Bluetooth dongle cause I don't get good range or high enough reliability to use it in such a way. Though I have to admit I haven't tried either. We just leave our porch light on come sunset and turn them off at a fixed time.

I guess the real lesson here is that with vCrib there is usually more than one way to meet the requirements of a task.

Something I'm thinking about doing with BTP is having it send out an email/ text to me when the wife gets home, that way I know if I should stop by the mailbox. I can add a condition to only email me if I am not at home. And of course vs. versa when I get home first have it email her.

vCrib Wiki
Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:20 pm View user's profile Send private message
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
On the Actions, there is a repeat limit on them. Currently it is in seconds, but it kinda does what you are wanting. It tells the system "If this action has already ran within this time limit, ignore it".

I can think of so many ways to do what you are wanting with the fron light I don't think I have time to type them all... but here is a quick rundown...

Use Security Modes! When system is Armed, the light can turn on (so as you first come home) then you disarm the system and the ligth will no longer come on.
Use Occupancy! If Vaughn = Gone, turn the light on, else don't. When you get home, you set yourself to = Here. this can be done 100 ways tooo.
Use variables or time rangers to allow the action to run (If Occupants > 0, If time > 7pm & < 9pm), etc

Put A sensor in your car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Put a motion detector under your dash, when the house sees it go off, it turns the light on for you... Or put a DS10A on your shifter, when your car goes into Park, it turns the light on...

Vaughn

Sat Mar 20, 2010 1:48 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Virtual Crib general discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: