The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
versions 0.0.3.0, 0.0.4.0

Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Release & Version Info View previous topic
View next topic
versions 0.0.3.0, 0.0.4.0
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post versions 0.0.3.0, 0.0.4.0 Reply with quote
I released a full install 0.0.3.0 on the FTP last week. It was the first release with a blank database that attempted to "self-heal" all of its required data.

Using it from the blank state inspired all kinds of auto-setup ideas and also exposed a lot of GUI & data-validation problems. I had a few days off though and I tore into it and made more changes than we would normally see in like 2 months. I spent every waking moment coding on it over the last few days. Late last night I cleaned up the last known bug using my production data.

Tonight I will wipe the database again and test the new changes against it. I should have the 0.0.4.0 release out late tonight or tomorrow. Hopefully you will find building a new setup with this version worlds apart from earlier versions.

Some new features in 0.0.4.0
* Command Types are no longer generic and every supporting app registers what commands it supports with the DB and automatically creates those commands. This has added easy support of non-device commands like Insteon's Download CoreApp, Reset, Full Sync. Things like volume control of speaker and AB8SS clients are now actual commands in vCrib and not parameters of a SYSTEM command.

* The location of a device carries over into its Event, Command and Triggers so you can sort and filter Events, Commands and Triggers by location now.

* Sorts and Filters have been added on nearly every grid and each grid will now preserve your sort, filter and selected row when moving between tabs.

* Auto-Creation of data. This has been extended greatly to even include Voice Recognition commands. For example, when you add a new user, like Mike: "Mike is here." and "Mike is leaving" voice recognition entries are automatically made. The command to set Mike's location to here, or away are automatically made and those command are executed when the VR is matched. The events and triggers for those commands are automatically made... So basically, when you add a user, the system will instantly recognise them and takes no additional configurations.

* The Command Types that Processes register also store what data they require so when entering command, you only see the supported fields and the rest are hidden. This simplifies the screen a lot and helps simplify the whole process. It was A LOT of work just for this little feature but will also be applied to Triggers soon, so I think it was worth it.

* Location code has been enhanced and Locations are automatically created in the device table when you add a location. This was needed to allow the OCCUPIED and VACANT events to be tied their location and be sortable and filterable like the rest of the events associated with real devices.

* All Speakers ON/OFF and other AB8SS commands are now functional. I also started on a "Active Locations ON/OFF" command, so some announcements will just play in whatever room you are in and don't have to be hard-coded to a location.

* Lots more. I think I will shoot a new demo and/or instructional video from this release.

If you have thought about testing it, I was hessitant to recommend it earlier, but I think testers will be able to use it from this version forward with much less effort than before.

Vaughn

Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:55 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post update Reply with quote
Between last night and lunch today, I think I cleaned up all the known issues I found with the latest built. I just have some high level stuff to blow through tonight like if the 2 or 3 variables I use for occupancy are created and functioning ok...

I should have it on the FTP about 10PM CST if all goes well. I hope to get it on YTek and Humanzee's machines in the next couple days to get feedback on bugs or any other last minute stuff they want to see crammed into the 0.0.4.0 build. After I address the bugs in this build, I will rebuild as 0.1.0.0, shoot docs video, and move the setup files to a public FTP or web site and start open beta testing finally!

I am shooting a documentation video off of this 0.0.4.0 build too as a beta for the Documentation videos, so we will be seing this last Alpha build prior to the Beta. I hope to get some feedback on whether the video is informative enough to setup vCrib or whether I will need printed docs too. Obviously printed docs will be needed at some point, but if I can get people running off of the videos it will buy me some time.

Vaughn

Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:24 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Ok 0.0.4.0 is released. Reply with quote
It took me a grueling 6 hours last night, but I did wrap up my debug work and package the app. The new version with the new DB is on the FTP.

Converting Users and Locations to work in the standard Device system was a lot of work that I am not sure I should have attempted this version, but I made that call. Hopefully it tests good.

I don't think I am going to code tonight and I am super fried, but I may play with it and see how close it is to being ready for the video, as I love videos even when I am too tired to code =)

Vaughn

Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:12 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
Hey,

I was just wondering how the documentation writing has been going. Have you made any progress? Obviously everyone would like to see advances in the programming itself over documentation, but I just wanted to ask where it stood.

This week I'm going to get it up and running without hardware and see how it responds and try to give you what little feedback I can.

Maybe I can make myself useful by writing documentation or at least get the shell of it started
Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:04 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
SnyperBob wrote:
Hey,

I was just wondering how the documentation writing has been going. Have you made any progress? Obviously everyone would like to see advances in the programming itself over documentation, but I just wanted to ask where it stood.

This week I'm going to get it up and running without hardware and see how it responds and try to give you what little feedback I can.

Maybe I can make myself useful by writing documentation or at least get the shell of it started

Check This:
http://www.esnips.com/doc/eaf25be3-f627-411c-9251-bcffeb1f9847/vCrib-Instructional-1

I am also including the instructional videos and simple text instructions in the Setup package. More still needs to be done, but this is a step forward. Hopefully I will get to shoot another 2-3 instructional videos soon.

Humanzee had the same idea with written docs though and has started on some shell/skeleton outlines for the docs that are on the FTP in the Manual directory. I could very much use help on the docs. We can definitly talk and work on this and I appriciate any help.

Vaughn

Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:39 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
chocolate7

Post Reply with quote
I should have it on the FTP about 10PM CST if all goes well. I hope to get it on YTek and Humanzee's machines in the next couple days to get feedback on bugs or any other last minute stuff they want to see crammed into the 0.0.4.0 build. After I address the bugs in this build, I will rebuild as 0.1.0.0, shoot docs video, and move the setup files to a public FTP or web site and start open beta testing finally!

Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:46 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Release & Version Info All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: