The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
RDC has no sound, Grumble

Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Virtual Crib general discussion View previous topic
View next topic
RDC has no sound, Grumble
Onethingafteranother

Post RDC has no sound, Grumble Reply with quote
Has anyone notice that if you log into your vcrib 'server' machine remotely (as mine is located out of reach), there is no sound drivers installed (Windows 7). Is it just me or is this the norm?

I have to say that originally mine would not RDC, although MS mentioned nothing about this in the 'Which product is best for you' gumph!! and it took me to buy a new MB and CPU before I realised... not happy!! I've managed to tweak my version to do RDC now, but wonder if the lack of sound and message saying 'no sound drivers installed on this machine' when I RDC is due to my version (Premium family, all be it tweaked) or just what Windows 7 does?

It's a real pain when setting up any VR or Voices, cos I have to send the VGA over USB, which slows the PC right down.
Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:50 am View user's profile Send private message
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
haha! I actually ran into this problem a few days ago when redoing my vCrib install. I couldn't figure out why the hell I had no sound. Sound card kept saying Windows RDC driver or something like that. Then I figured out what was happening...

I just use logmein.com to connect if I want to get sound working. Vaughn and us have been using logmein.com for years and it works great. Best part is it's free!

Clever image to be inserted here soon.... Smile
Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:51 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Onethingafteranother

Post Reply with quote
Now that's funny, cos I signed up with LMI last night, but I hadn't even thought of using it to log myself in. I only created the account as I was hoping to catch Vaughn at some point.

Good call SB!!!
Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:24 am View user's profile Send private message
d_sellers1

Post Win7 & RDC Reply with quote
I'm running multiple computers with Windows 7 Ultimate. Home and Premium should be able to connect to Ultimate. I also use it to connect to my Windows Home Server and Home Server "Vail" machines. My automation system is running Win7 Ultimate with Homeseer (because after 3 years there's still no UPB support in vCrib...). When remotely connecting to the automation system, I too noticed that sounds weren't working correctly while using RDC.

The fix, keep the sounds on the remote system. Before connecting through RDC, click Options > Local Resources > Settings > Play on Remote Computer. Save your connection so you don't have to set this setting each time (though I think Win7 remembers the settings when you connect through the jump list). This will keep all the sounds remote so even while you're connected the sounds will play from there. I have Homeseer set up to play a grandfather clock sound every hour between the hours of 9AM to 9PM.

I used to use LogMeIn to connect from Afghanistan to a machine that I had running in Texas. Sometimes I could use the Texas machine to access the internet faster than what our slow connection. Now I primarily use it to connect to my two HTPC machines since RDC likes to lock the local screen but it still works for maintenance purposes.

Derek
Thu May 13, 2010 7:44 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I use remote desktop between all my computers here, logmein is only when I am away from my lan. Yes, the trick is to always leave sound at the remote computer.

Bob, I will hit you up on facebook, might save you some work...

Vaughn

Thu May 20, 2010 4:59 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Petsche

Post Reply with quote
That's what I used to do back in the day. Newer solutions work much better nowadays.
Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:27 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Virtual Crib general discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: