The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
SMS support

Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Feature Requests View previous topic
View next topic
SMS support
mogu

Post SMS support Reply with quote
Greetings all!

Am new to home automation.
Was searching for HA info and i found Vcrib!
Haven't buy any hardware yet, as the shipping cost to Singapore are quite high!

Tried Vcrib without hardware, still quite fun(especially the VR)
Don't know if someone already suggest this but SMS will be good.
E.g = when armed, motion sensor or window/door sensor activate, will send sms to notify the owner of intruder and you can activate certain sensor, cam, open door lock, etc using sms.
Initially was planning on building something like a fire alarm.Temp sensor on every corner of the house, when the temp reaches certain level will send sms to alert the owner.

I am using 1-wire device and sensor, nokia mobile phone and gnokii(sms software linux).
Saw someone already suggested 1-wire support Smile hopefully will be in vcrib soon.

Cheers!
Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:39 am View user's profile Send private message
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
I agree SMS would rock. I believe vCrib already supports SMS thru Yahoo or something. Vaughn told me about it, but said that it uses a fee-based service thru Yahoo if I remember correctly.

Vaughn should be able to give more details about this, but I think vCrib already supports SMS, Vaughn just hasn't released the exe that does it
Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:39 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
d_sellers1

Post Reply with quote
SnyperBob wrote:
Vaughn told me about it, but said that it uses a fee-based service thru Yahoo if I remember correctly.

My girlfriend sends me messages through Yahoo Messenger that go to my cell phone as a text message. I have an AT&T Blackberry Pearl and it does not come with the ability to use Yahoo Messenger (even though there is a hack out there). She just right-clicks on my name and selects 'Send SMS' or 'Send Message to Mobile' or something like that. My responses come back to her in the usual looking chat window. No cost involved...

Derek
Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:28 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
I understand. Something like that or interfacing with AOL Instant Messenger would be ideal. AIM also has the ability to log on as a user on your mobile phone, and others can send you a message and it comes to you. You get charged as if it was a text message.

I think the stuff Vaughn uses allows vCrib itself to send the SMS. I'm not sure, but I think the fee stuff is because his program interfaces directly with Yahoo's servers or something. I don't know much about SMS messenging, or if it's possible for users to set up their own SMS messenging for free via some other method.

Some research into this may yield some free solutions. I'm not sure how complicated they would be for the average user to set up, but I'm sure I could write detailed documentation that could get anyone up and running
Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:46 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
mogu

Post Reply with quote
I will not use online sms service even from commercial provider. I tried it, local and oversea,non of my sms get through even from my local pay VOIP service provider.
I prefer, get a pre-paid card with old used mobile phone and connect to your PC or server and send,receive directly.

Just my 2 cents
Cheers!
Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:00 am View user's profile Send private message
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
What vCrib does is send emails with SMTP, so I use the email address of my phone, or I send the email to my yahoo account then forward the message to my phone so I have an email trail.

I have not released the SMTP program because I coded it against Yahoo's SMTP servers which are only available to paid Yahoo accounts. This should not be too hard to redo. I will release it pretty soon.

Also, if anyone is interested in writing any misc apps like these, all you have to do is a little bit of code to read the command queue, the rest you can get some sample code from planetsourcecode.com. Use any language you want. And I will walk you through all the vCrib stuff.

Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:13 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Feature Requests All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: