The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
DONE: 0057 (For Objects) Delete confirm of everything

Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Feature Requests View previous topic
View next topic
DONE: 0057 (For Objects) Delete confirm of everything
SnyperBob

Post DONE: 0057 (For Objects) Delete confirm of everything Reply with quote
I noticed this for objects, but I guess it can apply to almost everything.

I was wondering if you could add in support to ask you to confirm if you want to delete something. I noticed that the update button is usually right next to the delete button. If you accidentally hit the delete button, it's GONE

I haven't had an issue with it yet, but I think it could happen and cause a lot of headache if you can't figure out what you had selected when you accidentally hit the delete button

Thanks
Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:15 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I would need to be able to turn the option on and off, because when you go to delete 20 objects, it would be very painfull. However, when at my new client's house, she was deleting a bunch of unknow objects that got added from my house and she hit the delete too many times and it queued up on her and deleted too much. So maybe an undo. I could just flag items as deleted and hide them, but that would give you the option of unflagging deleted items...

It leaves some decisions on what to do with the events, commands, etc. I will ponder it and anyone else feel free to let me know what you think.

Vaughn

Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:25 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
yeah, I've thought about that too, but I'd rather have the 'inconvenience' of having to hit another button to confirm, rather than not having a means to back out my delete.

I don't see a problem with just making vCrib confirm OK to delete. You can just click delete button, and when the confirm box pops up, have the OK button focused, and users can just hit the space bar to say OK. You know what I mean?

So at most you'll just have to keep hitting delete and space to confirm. Very fast for tons of entries
Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:31 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
I like both ideas, however, I think it would be good to have a global options setting area some where. There are hard coded defaults for some things that someone might want to tweak from time to time. A check box on a dialog someplace to confirm deletes would serve both situations. On by default. Other options could be default values for limits, occupancy timeouts, which dependant items get auto generated, default values for ignoring motion sensor OFF in the logs, etc etc.

Each supporting module could use some of these tweaks too. Like the repeated signal ignore value for W800RF. Even just expansion of the ini file to cover some preferences would be good.

vCrib Tester #1, Forum moderator, using INSTEON devices, X10 sensors and remotes via W800RF, All doors are wired with contact closures.
vCrib Wiki
Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:01 am View user's profile Send private message
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
Vaughn brings up a good point.

What would you do if your neighbor happened to have wireless x10 devices and they kept getting detected by your w800rf? They would show up as unknown objects in vCrib, but is there any way to ignore them or something, so they don't show in vCrib?

Hmmm, I guess it could get dangerous if your neighbor could figure out your ds10a's location. They would be able to tell when you're home or not based on activity. (They can tell your door opened, door closed, then your garage door opened, then garage closed.) That would mean you left. I guess the odds are low they would be able to figure that info out, but still it's a scary thought.
Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:09 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
There is already a debug mode in the W800RF I would think it should be easy to convert that to Learn Mode or something. Enable it when you change batteries etc.

Well there are a couple ways to look at that second part. If your neighbor is sophisticated enough to be monitoring your x10 traffic to the point of decoding when you are home or not specifically by looking at the data, he will probably already know when you are home or not by many other means, he will probably also know that if you have 35 different x10 signals popping off that you are pretty serious about your automation, which one would then leave them to deduce that any attempt to break in would likely be monitored by something. X10 may not be the best for security but its better than nothing and Id guess that they would probably just move on to the next house that isn't monitored.

If you are using x10 for security sensor the worst thing that could happen would be for somebody to spoof your signals and cause false alarms to the point where you would loose confidence and disable your system. If you are here reading this, I'd guess that you'd be more likely to troubleshoot the system vs. disabling it.

What is more likely here anyway? Your neighbor monitoring you, or you monitoring your neighbor? I'm glad I don't live next to Vaughn. He'd know exactly when I throw my empties into his back yard.

vCrib Tester #1, Forum moderator, using INSTEON devices, X10 sensors and remotes via W800RF, All doors are wired with contact closures.
vCrib Wiki
Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:25 am View user's profile Send private message
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
There is/was a learn mode on the W800RF. I would have to test it again to see how to control auto-adding of new devices. For now, I have added the confirm box on 0057b of the Admin.exe. I also reduced the size once again, but just a little. Lastly I moved one function from general code to the SDK Class (Object_Update).

This is not enough to put out new object code so I will work a few more things and then will put the exe out.

Vaughn

Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:56 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Feature Requests All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: