The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
My wiring setup...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Virtual Crib general discussion View previous topic
View next topic
My wiring setup...
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
Yeah, we need to take some more pictures. I think once we finish substantially, ill go around and try to replicate by angle and possition the pictures that we took at the home inspection so that the difference will be clear. That will be exciting for us too.

vCrib Tester #1, Forum moderator, using INSTEON devices, X10 sensors and remotes via W800RF, All doors are wired with contact closures.
vCrib Wiki
Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:46 pm View user's profile Send private message
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
ok guys,

I'm not sure if any of you have been following the first few posts in this thread, but I've been editing/updating them as I accomplish more. I've been dating each update, but a quick outline as to what I've done are:

1. run security wire for the house
2. installed recessed window sensors and spliced into wiring
3. installed/spliced ds10a's in basement and mounted them
4. tested everything above using my w800rf that I got for XMas.
5. almost finished reformatting and reinstalling everything back on my server

The past couple days I've been working on the electrical more with my buddy (electrician) in the lower level and basement. Probably will have most of it completed by the end of this weekend. It all hinges on my buddy. He does the work, I provide the beer.

So currently the only hardware that I have is a w800rf and the ds10a's. I'm probably going to order a set of 5 x10 motion detectors to use with the w800rf as well. That should keep me set to get vCrib at least up and running. Most of all FUNCTIONAL. I've had it running for a long time, just sucks not having any hardware to interface with.

Happy New Year every1!!
Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:51 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
Didn't notice the updates, looks like you are getting there. I got a phidget 8/8/8 for Christmas Very Happy so ill have some wiring to do soon also. I'm going to be moving my server down into its own room under the stairs but I would kind of like to wait till the finish carpentry is done there to avoid hammering on things that are attached to things that are holding spinning hard disks against a wall. There will be quite an amount of tidying up to do in there. I already moved the light fixutre in there to accommodate the space needed for some of this hardware.

I also got some surround sound speakers and bought an audio video receiver for the family room. Finally, its been years since I've had good audio. It will be interesting to integrate with SageTV and vCrib. It looks like ill need that event ghost plug-in. I'm sure ill be distracted with audio equipment for a while before I can get back to finishing the house.

vCrib Tester #1, Forum moderator, using INSTEON devices, X10 sensors and remotes via W800RF, All doors are wired with contact closures.
vCrib Wiki
Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:52 pm View user's profile Send private message
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
Haha, I'm going to be distracted with audio stuff too for a while. that's funny.

I have a few ceiling speakers that I want to install soon. Two for the master bedroom ceiling and one for the bathroom. I'm waiting for the funds to lear Paypal, so I can order some of these cover things:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=300-265&CFID=11762825&CFTOKEN=18335184

The attic above all the bedrooms has blown in insulation. I want to protect the backs of the ceiling speakers with these cover things. I could probably use a shower cap and do it for less $, but oh well, I only need like 7 of them (< $25)

I also bought a cheap Technics receiver that will go in the basement to drive the whole-house music setup I am doing. Bastards didn't include a power cable with the receiver, so I'm waiting on one to arrive in the mail. Hopefully the receiver works OK by then, lol.

PS - Adding some pics to the updates I made above already. Not much, just some pics of the security wiring/sensors....
Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:53 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
SnyperBob

Post Hey guys Reply with quote
Hey,

I still check the forums every day. I was just wondering what everyone is up to? What kind of projects are you guys working on?

I've been working a ton of overtime the past couple months. I'm putting all the extra money back in to the house. I'm going to have someone do the drywalling in that level I was working on finishing.

Before drywall, I'm going to be running more wire. Just some RCA cables, VGA cables, and possibly some stuff for future cameras (cat5e, those cheap camera wires I posted about), etc...

I just bought a SageTV setup. I've heard a lot of good things about SageTV, and I don't have a cable box DVR yet. I work nights, so I want to be able to record stuff and time shift (watch them when ever I want). I'll keep you guys posted about the Sage setup.

I'm getting closer to having that one level finished, then I won't need to keep dumping freakin' money into it. I have almost all the electrical done, so once I run those few wires I'll be able to drywall!

I want to build a couple big walls in the basement as well, to frame out my wiring closet. Once I get those walls up, I'll be able to put in the power (in the new walls), and move all my equipement to the damn wiring closet (servers, receivers, etc).

I'm working on having three machines. One for whole house music, one for video recording, and one for automation. I'll just have the music and recording one shut down at night and boot back up each morning or something. I dunno, I'll figure out what works best...

Clever image to be inserted here soon.... Smile
Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:56 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
I don't have a music server perse, and my sage server and automation are in the same box. MySQL doesn't take that much overhead but it can take some. Im working on building a new sage/vcrib server with a quad core chip. That should sperad out the load some. We're down to one page of punchlist items on our remodel, but of course that doesn't include all the automation projects. I think the line item simply says. Move server to server room. HA probably weeks worth of futzing.

Other than that we've been trying to train our puppy and patiently wait for 0.0.6.0

vCrib Wiki
Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:26 pm View user's profile Send private message
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post hi guys! Reply with quote
I didn't realize there was so much forum activity as I have not been getting any emails about forum posts lately. I have had a lot of stuff happening lately, from my departure from Sprint, my father learning he is terminal, business propositions from overseas companies, etc. So I have kinda been in limbo trying to deal with it all and deciding where to put my time.

The version I am working on is going well, but everything I do complicates upgrades and it has been over taxing trying to balance the benefits of new changes verses impacts to documentation and upgrade complexities, etc.. So I am still working on it and will never abandon the software, but when I get overloaded I tend to disappear from the forums, sorry for that.

Glad to see the progress on you house Snyper. I have to look it over more as I get caught up. Trying to just see how much I have missed over the past few weeks. Feel free to pester me if you need anything or want me to give priorities to anything you need.

Vaughn

Thu May 15, 2008 11:29 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Humanzee

Post Re: hi guys! Reply with quote
CribKeeper wrote:
I didn't realize there was so much forum activity as I have not been getting any emails about forum posts lately.

I think you only get emails on threads that you have replied to subscribed to or originated. New threads will not notify every user.

vCrib Wiki
Fri May 16, 2008 11:39 am View user's profile Send private message
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
Yeah, I kinda disappeared for a couple weeks too.

My problem is, I depend on the new posts feature too much. Sometimes my account logs out, and when I visit the forum it doesn't show any new posts because I'm logged out. Drives me nuts

I don't have any major updates on my setup lately. I've been working on my electrical and trying to get that all completed by myself. It's kind of taking a while because my wife eats up all my free time on the weekends. Once I get the electrical done, I'll be pulling some more speaker wire for dedicated HA annoucement speakers in the bedrooms.

I also decided to pull components (5 wire RCA) to each room. Since each room is going to have ceiling speakers I figured it would be nice to be able to pipe an input to each room's receiver in the wiring closet. Kind of like a cheap/ghetto whole house music system. It works for my needs tho.

Oh, and lately the wife and I have been hooked on SageTV. We bought a tuner card and the server software a couple months ago. I just got one of the HD Media Extenders last week. Freakin' amazing. Previously we were only using Placeshifter on a laptop to view recordings. Now we can watch everything on an actual TV, lol.

Sun May 25, 2008 11:26 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
I've had my eye on that HD extender, I'm waiting though for the Hauppauge component video recorder to prove it self out. Once we can record every HD channel it will make it harder to resist getting a bigger HDTV for the family room and putting this 37" in the bedroom. The HD extender will be great for that, though, I wonder if I'd ever want PC functions in there too. I can always do it later I guess. Just another crawl space trip.

vCrib Wiki
Sun May 25, 2008 11:55 pm View user's profile Send private message
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
Well, not too much has been going on. I've just been slowly making progress on all fronts. For the past few weeks I've been working on the electrical a little each day. My electrician buddy has been a no-show for months, so I just decided to do it myself.

I made enough progress to finally wire in stuff and see results!

Light in the middle of side wall (above pic) is temporary. It's going to be a sconce once the drywall is in.

Same with the light in the middle of the wall in the above pic. That's temporary too. That spot will just be an outlet for a wall mounted LCD.

I also worked a couple days in the garage on the power out there. Nothing major, just adding outlets. I have one entire wall piped. I just need to do two more walls. Ug... I also installed some 1970's 150 Watt 'big ass' speakers in the garage. My receiver only puts out 100 watts, and that's enough to rattle the gutters, hear it clearly from the street (80' away), and make your ears bleed.

I'll be posting some pics soon. I'm having an issue with my servers Internet connection. More like an issue with the keystones or something like that. Bad connection from my cable closet to my server. It's always something...

Oh yeah, vCrib is still running strong EVERY DAY! Solid as a rock

I've just been amassing materials for when I have time to do everything. I picked up a ton more speaker wire, along with component cables for each room. I'm going to homerun component cables. It was cheaper to just buy premade component cables than to run 4 coax and terminate them.

Don't forget about keystones and wall plates. These all cost me around $150 thru an eBay seller. If I would have bought these all locally, it would have cost well over $600...

I also scored a deal on some flush wall plates. These will be great for mounting TVs directly to the wall. One opening for power, the other for low voltage. I saved the link to these, if you're interested let me know. I think they were like $10 each...

The next best thing to vCrib....

Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:19 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
looking good, Our carpenter finally left today so I can officially start moving the servers under the stairs with out feer of banging on things causeing hard drive problems. I sat in there for a while the other night and got myself thourouly confused about how I want to lay things out. I need to buy a panel to put all my sensor and network wires into but the stud cavity is narrower than standard. I think I found one that will work though. Just need to buck up. I've bought almost all of my wall jacks, cables, keystones etc from monoprice.com. Always great deals and quality. After that the next project is building a custom entertainment cabinet for the family room. Then the new TV and move the old one onto the wall in the bedroom. At that point ill need that extender too.

vCrib Wiki
Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:26 pm View user's profile Send private message
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
Sorry I've been gone for so long. I've been checking in, but mostly been doing work around the house. I spent the last two weeks working on the electrical out in the garage. Specifically, adding more outlets on the walls. Yesterday I finally completed it. I added about 25 outlets to the garage. I pretty much maxed out my sub panel in the garage as well.

Pardon the mess, but here's some pictures:

I added about 7 breakers myself. The other few were put in by my cousin the electrician. I posted about that earlier in this thread I believe.

I ran all half inch conduit. I ran a little over 100 feet in the garage:

I put the side wall outlets about 4 feet off the ground. This will allow me to put stuff like trash cans or whatever along the wall, and still have access to the outlets

Kind of hard to see, but I put the outlets along the back wall lower on the wall. I think they're about 3 feet off the ground. I plan on building a work bench across the entire back of the garage. The outlets will be right above the counter top. There's 6 outlets along the back wall. I may convert them to four outlets per box. Currently they're two outlets per box.

I still have plans to do more with the electrical in the future. I want to add more ceiling lights, and put them on their own switches. I also want to put in one more outlet in the middle of the back wall for a TV. I'll probably do all of this in the fall when it gets nice outside again.

Well, it's been a fun couple weeks. I just worked on it for a couple hours a few days each week and knocked it out. So, here's what awaits me today....cleaning and organizing all my sh*t. I haven't really had anything organized in the garage, or hung on the walls because I wanted to get the outlets in.

Check out the mess. Also, note my 150 Watt speakers hanging on the back wall. They rattle the gutters and my receiver is only 100 watts output Smile

Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:43 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
Last Friday was a long day......

I spent four hours here:

I bought 49 2x4's, drywall, plywood, peg board, mulch, and other wood as well. I loaded it all in the trailor:

After getting all the above stuff, my buddies and I then drove over to my wife's Aunt's house to pick up this stuff!!

What is that you ask? Well, my wife's aunt and uncle were upgrading their entire kitchen. They wanted to replace all of their old cabinets with new stuff. So we got an entire kitchen's worth of kitchen cabinets FOR FREE!

My wife and her aunt doubted me. "Do you really want ALL of these cabinets?" Umm, yes, thanks please. Here's the results. Thanks to an enormous effort by my friends, we got everything in place Friday. We finished about 4 pm:

That's almost 24 feet of cabinets. My garage looks like freakin' Cheers bar or something. We're talking at least a few grand worth of cabinets for free. wewt!

I have to clean them still. Just basically vacuum them out and wipe them all down. I need to put some more screws in the upper cabinet to hold them to the wall better, before putting all my stuff in them. What do you think?

Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:07 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
looks good, we salvaged our old kitchen cabinets and did the same. I only have about 16 ft worth though. Sad I probably would have slapped some drywall up behind there first though. That space between the studs will otherwise eat all your tools and parts. Also makes a little home for rodents. My lower cabinets are just set in place with gravity and I've already killed one mouse that was making a home between the cabinet and wall. They are crafty. You'll probably find as I did that the lower kitchen cabinets are of limited usefulness out there though. It turns out that most garage oriented items are big and bulky. Try putting a chain saw or garden tools or beer coolers inside a kitchen sized cabinet. It doesn't work, you'll end up wanting large deep shelves and big locker things.

I've mostly filled my uppers but I don't know what to put into the countless drawers and cup boards in the lowers. Too small for most power tools etc. Keeping organized with so many nooks is tough. Its all too tempting to keep stuff you really don't need. Then when you go looking for something you tucked away you don't find it but stumble across junk you forgot you had.

Good score though and definitely better than nothing.

vCrib Wiki
Wed Aug 13, 2008 2:01 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Virtual Crib general discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: