The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
DONE: Bluetooth On Premises detection
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Feature Requests View previous topic
View next topic
DONE: Bluetooth On Premises detection
Humanzee

Post DONE: Bluetooth On Premises detection Reply with quote
Track the presence of bluetooth devices to detect who is or who is not on premises. Most people have a cell phone with a bluetooth chip in it that they carry around with them. Lets use that and a bluetooth dongle to detect occupants as being on or off the premises. It could even be used to change security modes or grant access to specific people at specific times. It's a good idea, DO IT NOW.

vCrib Tester #1, Forum moderator, using INSTEON devices, X10 sensors and remotes via W800RF, All doors are wired with contact closures.
vCrib Wiki
Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:08 pm View user's profile Send private message
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
I love this idea! That would probably work very well, sounds complicated to code tho

Clever image to be inserted here soon.... Smile
Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:56 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
Shouldn't be, I think the bluetooth stuff is in Visual Studio. not sure.

vCrib Tester #1, Forum moderator, using INSTEON devices, X10 sensors and remotes via W800RF, All doors are wired with contact closures.
vCrib Wiki
Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:58 pm View user's profile Send private message
hobbes487

Post Reply with quote
I've been thinking about this a bit and would love to see this sort of thing implemented. I did a little research on developing bluetooth applications and don't think creating a vcrib plugin would be very difficult. There is a free SDK for the Microsoft bluetooth stack that could be used. I could only find a pay one for WIDCOMM. This is how I see it working:

There would be a service that sits in the taskbar that continually scans for nearby bluetooth devices. When a new device is detected a popup will be displayed with the device name. Then the admin can add a user into vcrib with an attribute containing the device id. When the bluetooth scanning service detects a device that is already in vcrib it will change the corresponding user to on premises. With it set up like this, I see adding friends to vcrib as they come over to visit. When they visit again vcrib will detect them, announce their arrival and play a welcome message.

I think this would add a new level of intelligence that would definitely have a wow factor.

I will add this to my list of project to do but, I have other things I am working on first, like z-wave compatibility and a web client so it would be great if there are any other devs out there that would like to contribute to the cause. Smile

Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:00 am View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
Awesome, BT detection would be a very cool (and useful) feature, thanks!

Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:06 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
hobbes487

Post Reply with quote
I took a quick stab at this and ran into a problem. I found that my phone (and my wife's phone) only broadcast their BT ID when active. By this I mean with my phone (palm treo 750) my bluetooth settings say that the device is discoverable, but unless the phone is not in standby, it cannot be discovered. This is a problem because the phone will not be able to be detected unless I am using it.

I wrote a simple program to scan for nearby devices once a minute and then update vcrib, but it is useless unless the problem above can be solved. If anyone can help me out on this i would be grateful.

Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:09 pm View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
Shouldn't you have to pair the phone to the computer's bluetooth device instead of just listening for bluetooth traffic? If the phone isn't advertising its existence (not discoverable) then the headsets that we use must be chirping a connection request periodically on their own. The phone hears it and responds. vice verse when the phone rings it looks for available headsets to connect to. When paired they should automatically connect.

So it could work like this. Set up a headset profile connection with the computer. Instead of talking though the computer's microphone and speakers, its just set up to monitor the connection and maybe report caller ID. When a call comes in, you don't pick it up via the computer, but at the cell phone itself.

Ideally you could set up a connection under a different profile, so that it doesn't interfere with other devices. Not all phones have different profiles to use though so it would need to be selectable. At my home I have a bluetooth gateway to connect my cell phones to the land line home phones. In this instance I wouldn't want to interrupt that connection with the proximity detection. I think in most phones you can set a priority of the devices so that it will only connect if a device of higher priority is not available. Just not sure what happens when two paired devices are available. If they both register, first come first served or what.

vCrib Wiki
Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:35 pm View user's profile Send private message
hobbes487

Post Reply with quote
yea. i think it would work if you pair the device to the computer. It would probably be able to detect it whenever it is in range, but this doesn't solve a couple issues. First, the point you brought up about only being able to pair to one device at a time. Actually come to think about it, that may not be a problem. My phone can pair to more than one device simultaneously (headset and GPS puck).

The other problem would be that you would not be able to add friends to vcrib based on their phones and have it detect their presence when they visit unless you had them pair their phone, which is possible, but annoying.

Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:26 pm View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
hobbes487 wrote:
I took a quick stab at this and ran into a problem. I found that my phone (and my wife's phone) only broadcast their BT ID when active. By this I mean with my phone (palm treo 750) my bluetooth settings say that the device is discoverable, but unless the phone is not in standby, it cannot be discovered. This is a problem because the phone will not be able to be detected unless I am using it.

I wrote a simple program to scan for nearby devices once a minute and then update vcrib, but it is useless unless the problem above can be solved. If anyone can help me out on this i would be grateful.

Can we try this out with our phones Smile I haven't used BT with my phone much, so I'm not sure if mine would have the same problem, but it wouldn't hurt to try!

Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:42 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
hobbes487

Post Reply with quote
Good news. I was able to get a decent on premises detector working by pairing my phone to the computer. i was hoping to be able to do it without pairing, but its better than nothing. Its really late and i'm tired. i will post a beta version for you to test tomorrow once i clean it up.

Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:36 am View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
hobbes487 wrote:
Good news. I was able to get a decent on premises detector working by pairing my phone to the computer. i was hoping to be able to do it without pairing, but its better than nothing. Its really late and i'm tired. i will post a beta version for you to test tomorrow once i clean it up.

Dude, you rock, thanks!

Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:59 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
Excellent. We had a security event at home yesterday so I'll be interested in being able to engage different security modes based on accurate premises detection.

vCrib Wiki
Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:58 am View user's profile Send private message
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
Hobbes,

What kind of Bluetooth adaptor are you using, that's connected to your PC. Just curious. I have a Linksys USBBT100V2

Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:19 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
hobbes487

Post Reply with quote
I am using this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833340012

My client should work with any BT adapter that uses the microsoft bluetooth stack, which is most. If you check your device manager and your bluetooth device says Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator then you are using the MS stack. Unfortunately there are no free SDKs for the WIDCOMM stack so I am forced to only support the MS one.

I am working with Vaughn to get my client to talk to vcrib using his new SDK so as soon as I get it working I will post it.

Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:59 pm View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
I just dug my dongle out of a box, its a dlink dbt-120. I couldn't find the proprietary drivers for it so I just plugged it in anyway. Looks like it selected the generic bluetooth radio and microsoft enumerator anyway. So I guess im ready to test when ever you are.

vCrib Wiki
Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:33 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Feature Requests All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: