The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Adding a location map

Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Virtual Crib general discussion View previous topic
View next topic
Adding a location map
Onethingafteranother

Post Adding a location map Reply with quote
I am new to vCrub so in need of a push to get me started. If I can learn only one thing to do on vCrib correctly then I can only continue to learn more.

At the moment I am looking at a top of screen, full of tabs and they all refuse to let me use them. My fault, not theres.

How do I add a map of a location. I have created a very basic .jpg and once I get the hang of vCrib I will create something better.
Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:15 pm View user's profile Send private message
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Maps are adding from the Map tab. If it is not letting you change tabs, that is becuase of security. It should be disabled by default. The Main tab has a login box for when security is enabled. To the right of the username and password is the security level of the user logged in. It should say Admin or Login, etc.

If it says admin, you should be able to use all tabs. If it says login, you can try the default account which is "Master" with a blank password.

BTW, if you want a super boost, I can set you up via LogMeIn.com or any other remote client you like.

Vaughn

Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:15 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Also, go ahead and ping me in IM and say hi. VaughnRupp at either Windows Live or Yahoo IM clients. No point in waiting for me to check the Forums when you need help.

If you do want to get my attention in the forums, reply to a thread I am talking in so I get a email notice. New messages do not ping my email. I work closely with Hobbes and Humanzee via IM. I think they will both agree that I have an open door attitude about IMs. Often if I am pinged with a problem in IM, I will code a fix while we talk and drop the exe right back into the IM and can solve some issues very fast like that.

Once 10+ people are doing this to me, I will have to be selective, but for now it is my pleasure.

Vaughn

Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:23 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Onethingafteranother

Post Reply with quote
Hi Vaughn,

Sorry, I misled you on my last post. I guess it was my British humour getting in the way again! What I meant about the tabs not working (my fault not theres)was I could go into each tab but I could not for the life of me work out how to use anything, including the maps. Thank you for the offer of remote help and the contact details, I have made a note of them so if you become too popular you can remove them from that post. I upgraded to ver 0.0.7 today and found the inclusion of your data / map and locations etc extremely helpfull. I can see me shipping you over a few beers at Christmas, to say thanks.

I am starting to get to gribs with vCrib now. I learnt Java a few years ago and the way locations / objects / devices are associated with each other reminds me of those long nights creating applets! Happy days, tiring ones, but happy.

This software is so powerfull compared to what's available on the UK market, unless I feel like investing small fortunes here and there, that I'm determined to see this project through to the end (I have a feeling this will never end though. There will always be just one more thing to automate) and the roll your sleeves up and dive in approach is definately keeping me amused Very Happy I am seeing a few issues brought on mainly by me using this purpose built USA software in the UK and would like to discuss them with you, with the hope of me learning enough to overcome them. I think I will contact you directly though and if we make any progress I'll post here at a later point.

Where are all the other moderators? They're a quiet bunch aren't they Cool I hope they're not leaving you to right all the wrongs, single handedly Laughing
Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:39 am View user's profile Send private message
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Nah, the mods here are great... Just depends on your timing. The new release is coming out tonight, so they have been busy testing and dealing with machine issues, etc.

Let me know what I can do to be more UK friendly.

Vaughn

Mon Feb 16, 2009 6:10 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
CribKeeper wrote:
Nah, the mods here are great... Just depends on your timing. The new release is coming out tonight, so they have been busy testing and dealing with machine issues, etc.

Let me know what I can do to be more UK friendly.

Vaughn

There's a new release out? *going to pour over the rest of the site*

Clever image to be inserted here soon.... Smile
Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:15 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Onethingafteranother

Post Reply with quote
I now have v0.0.8.0, I've only had v0.7.*.* for 5 days after realising I was behind the times with v0.6.*.* but v0.7 was so yesterday! Laughing

Thanks Vaughn & the team behind you, for continuing to develop vCrib. I've only just jumped on the wagon in the last few weeks, but it's good to be a part of something that people have a passion for.

I'm still slightly in shock that Master.exe has disapeared off my screen, I've checked the floor and it's not fallen down there. I've just become used to it running in the background and now alas it's gone! I did scan somewhere, whilst at work, that it has been merged with another file, so I will continue my learning curve.

Nice to see some CM controller support, although I have already started to think more along the lines of the Phidget way of automation and Insteon (when they come to the UK). Two reason, one - my CM keeps falling asleep! Two - I am trying to avoid using it's receivers for the important stuff as 80% (about what I get) reliability isn't really good enough if it's important that the signal gets through.

Anyways, thanks again for v0.8 and I'm off to check it out.
Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:29 pm View user's profile Send private message
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I originally forgot to put Master.exe and the DLL into the Zip file. I went back and added them, did I forget to update the web site?

Master.exe minimizes to the system tray now, so not sure if you mean it disappeared from your start bar, or completely.

I am installing 0080 now, so if you are missing master.exe, I will have a refreshed msi posted to the site.

Vaughn

Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:07 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Also, All the CM controllers are supported now, but barely tested and I am sure they need some work. My Insteon controller burned out, so I have not been distracted by with that and the release. I should have waited another week on the release and tested it better, but it was becoming too much to handle so I put it out.

Anyways, my point is, 0080 is a big step forward, but that is not in terms of stability. Hollar if you have any troubles or let me know what CM controller you have and I will focus on it more to get you going better.

Vaughn

Wed Feb 18, 2009 3:12 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Virtual Crib general discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: