The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
looking for my SMTP (Master.exe V0.0.8.0)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Virtual Crib general discussion View previous topic
View next topic
looking for my SMTP (Master.exe V0.0.8.0)
Onethingafteranother

Post looking for my SMTP (Master.exe V0.0.8.0) Reply with quote
Hi,

I tried SMTP.exe a couple of months ago and stumbled at "This Server Requires a Secure Connection".

Finally got some time put aside for a while, to sit down and use vCrib. Just reading up on SMTP again and seen it is now part of Master.exe.

I've been all over Master.exe and can find nowhere to enter my email details. Could somebody point me in the right direction?

Cheers.

Justin
Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:11 am View user's profile Send private message
hobbes487

Post Reply with quote
The SMPT settings can be found in the Settings menu in Admin.exe. When it was mentioned that SMPT was now a part of Master, that just meant Master does all of the processing for it. The settings must be set within Admin. This is the way most things work. Admin doesn't actually do any processing, but it is where the user configures the system.

Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:45 am View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Onethingafteranother

Post Reply with quote
Thanks for the quick reply Hobbes,

I must be missing something. This is what I see on Adim.exe/Settings and as you will see these is nowhere to add my details. None of the boxes will let me edit them and although I see a mention of email, there is nowhere to enter the pop3, smtp or password.

Am I missing something or is my computer missing something, we are going to fall out over it soon! Laughing

admin_settings.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  85.97 KB
 Viewed:  19613 Time(s)

admin_settings.jpg

admin_settings.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  85.97 KB
 Viewed:  19613 Time(s)

admin_settings.jpg

Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:31 am View user's profile Send private message
hobbes487

Post Reply with quote
It is in the settings MENU, not the settings tab. Right next to the File menu Smile

Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:43 am View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Onethingafteranother

Post Reply with quote
Bingo!!

Thanks Hobbes.

I didn't even know there was a settings section there, I just presumed all the controls were visable in the various screens. No wonder I keep getting stuck. Very Happy
Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:24 am View user's profile Send private message
Onethingafteranother

Post Reply with quote
I have one last question regarding email... I hope Wink

I've set up the email preferences in settings. How do I call the action to check my email for new ones and where are they displayed? Ok, that was two questions, but I was hoping no-one would notice.

Thanks,
Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:55 pm View user's profile Send private message
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
SMTP is for sending out messages, I'm not aware of a way to retrieve email via hte SMTP tools in vcrib. It woudln't be that secure to accept commands for vcrib via email, unless they were encrypted or something. Any mail client software software should be able to retrieve your mail per a specific schedule. Were you thinking of having email read to you or something?

vCrib Tester #1, Forum moderator, using INSTEON devices, X10 sensors and remotes via W800RF, All doors are wired with contact closures.
vCrib Wiki
Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:44 pm View user's profile Send private message
Onethingafteranother

Post Reply with quote
Hi Humanzee,

I appear to have got confused between my SMTP and my POP3.

To be honest I didn't really want vCrib to retreive my emails as it would leave potentially private mail on display, but as I thought it could do it I was interested to see how.

Now I have that sorted, can you look over what I have done as it is not working for me yet.

I have set up the SMTP under file/settings,
also under the COMMAND teb, I have used one of the SMTP email commands that already exists as a template and simply called it SMTP test with the text "This is a test". I can't see anywhere else that I need to set up SMTP test. Now, when I click on the Execute button on the COMMANDS tab nothing happens, even in the log. I have also added the SMTP test command to the list of actions under the ACTIONS tab, for a switch press on Phidget. All the other actions work and are logged, but SMTP test does not work. Infact, none of the SMTP commands work. Master.exe is running happily in the background and logs all other actions.

I'm sure I am missing something, just can't work out what.

Thanks for your help.

SMTP.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  53.32 KB
 Viewed:  19596 Time(s)

SMTP.jpg

Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:04 am View user's profile Send private message
Onethingafteranother

Post Reply with quote
I have worked out the problem. It was due to the process being set to "Email main" on the examples I have been using as a template. Set it to Master and now I'm rocking!

Well almost, the emails are now being sent but don't arrive. This I suspect is down to yahoo.co.uk using authentication as well as SSL. I will sign up to a few others and see if any of them don't use authentication. I know Google does, so that's two down, many to go.
Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:36 am View user's profile Send private message
hobbes487

Post Reply with quote
I use gmail and it works fine. You just have to make sure you check the "use SSL" in the SMTP settings

Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:10 am View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Onethingafteranother

Post Reply with quote
Hello again Hobbes,

After your recommendation abour GMail, I tried it again and the email still does not arrive.

As a test I setup Outlook to send from this account and it did no problem. There must be something I not setting up correctly on vCrib. When I first started to use SMTP I presumed that vCrib would send an email to the SMTP account, but now I thinking that I need to set up a recipient so the email can be sent through SMTP.

If I do need to set up a recipient, where do I do that?
Sun Mar 15, 2009 1:06 pm View user's profile Send private message
hobbes487

Post Reply with quote
The SMTP account you set up in the settings is the account that you are using to send the email. In the Command you set up to send your email you selected a user. In your case it is Master, according to your screen shots. When this command is called it will attempt to send email to Master. You must specify the email address of Master in the primary address field for the Master user object. What is probably happening with you is it is trying to send an email to nobody, therefore no one is receiving it. I don't think this is documented anywhere so its kinda hard to just figure it out. This is just an example of why we need people to volunteer to document instructions like this. Smile

I think the initial shock of how complex/customizable vcrib is can turn some new users off, but if we had better/more documentation it would help the process along.

Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:15 pm View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Onethingafteranother

Post Reply with quote
I appriciate you sticking with me on this Hobbes.

I have taken screenshots of the SMTP settings window, Objects and Commands.

I have set it all up but these pesky emails still disapear into the abyss! Can you see anything wrong?

Also, I have taken shots of the settings tab and the ini file. Both appear to refer to Email Main, should these be showing like this? Does vCrib override these settings or do I need to change them?

I'm still thinking that verification has something to do with this, but then again you are happily using googlemail.com. Did the Crib keeper tweak anything for you? I am running a fresh install of v0.8, rather than upgrading. Do you think something might have been missed on v0.8? Else I do not understand why you can use googlemail.com and I cannot. I have even disabled my firewall.

Please help and save my laptop from flying lessons.

Justin
Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:07 pm View user's profile Send private message
hobbes487

Post Reply with quote
I don't see you latest screen shots. show me your user object you want to send the email to, the command to send the email and your SMTP settings.

What does Master.exe show in the left column after you execute the send email command? It should show two lines. "send email command" and "email sent to: your@email.com". After some testig I realized if you have nothing the parameter field in for the send email command it won't send it. It will only show the "send email command" in the Master log, but not the "email sent to: your@email.com"

Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:35 pm View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Onethingafteranother

Post Reply with quote
Hi Brian,

Sorry, I woke up in the middle of the night and realised I hadn't attached the image. I will attached it when I get home from work. It 8am here now, so about 10hours from the time stamp of this message.

In the parameter field on the Command tab, I enter text that I want to see in the body of the email. Is that correct?

In the user fied on the Command tab, I tried entering master, but in the log on MASTER.exe it says something along the lines of field does not contain expected text for an email address. I tried entering my email address in there, but although there was no error, it still did not work and when I returned to that tab, the email address was not stored even after clicking update.

I have tried loads of variants in all the fields, but I have never got more of a response in MASTER.exe and ADMIN.exe log than "Send email command". It's never displayed "email sent to: your@email.com".

I'll post later tonight with the images.

Justin
Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:02 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Virtual Crib general discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: