The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
looking for my SMTP (Master.exe V0.0.8.0)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Virtual Crib general discussion View previous topic
View next topic
looking for my SMTP (Master.exe V0.0.8.0)
Onethingafteranother

Post Reply with quote
At last, one screen shot.

big smtp.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  209.58 KB
 Viewed:  11902 Time(s)

big smtp.jpg

Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:18 am View user's profile Send private message
hobbes487

Post Reply with quote
Everything looks good except two things:

SMTP settings: I think the from field must be an email address. It doesn't have to be real, but should look like one. I use vcrib@myhouse.com.

Command: You need to have something in the Parameter field otherwise nothing will be sent. Put something in that field and click update. Then test the command by clicking Execute.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:09 pm View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Onethingafteranother

Post Reply with quote
Hi Brian,

Spot on my freind!

"SMTP settings: I think the from field must be an email address." That was the one I hadn't tried yet and to be honest I don't think I ever would have. I now have email set up and running.

I really appriciate you spending the time on this, thanks.
Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:44 pm View user's profile Send private message
hobbes487

Post Reply with quote
Great! I knew we would be able to get it figured out. What do you think about writing a walkthrough of setting up a send email command for the wiki? I'm sure many new users would find it extremely useful.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:56 pm View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Onethingafteranother

Post Reply with quote
Funny you should ask!

That's what I've been doing for the last few hours, apart from dinner. Smile

It's my first chance to give something back and so have created a word document that runs through the whole process, presuming that people will have already set up objects and actions that the email would be notifying them about.

I can transfer it into any format that you prefer, even a html page if that works better for Wiki.

Let me know the format and I will tranfer it after work tomorrow. In the meantime, if yourself or SnyperBob can IM's me an email address to send it to.

Cheers,
Justin
Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:19 pm View user's profile Send private message
hobbes487

Post Reply with quote
I would convert it to a wiki page. You can get to the wiki from the main page and then create an account to make a page. You may need to PM SnyperBob to accept your account.

Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:49 am View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
In your example, you have a command to email Master. Did you put an email address in for Master? The SMTP setting are for the server. The TO comes from the Occupant's primary address.

Vaughn

Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:15 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Onethingafteranother

Post Reply with quote
Hi Vaughn,

Where you been hiding?

Thanks for the reply. I have a perfectly working SMTP function now, thanks mainly to Hobbes.

As you are here, I could ask you. What is the "From" field for in the file / SMTP Settings? It appears to need an email address else the email will not send, but the email address that goes in there can be completely random and does not show in the email? It do not need an answer to this, as SMTP is working ok now, but I am just curious.

Justin
Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:22 am View user's profile Send private message
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
You can put anything in the from address. My last tests with Google seem to use the Google email address no matter what you put into from...

Vaughn

Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:43 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Virtual Crib general discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: