The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Creating an action? I think (vCrib V0.0.8.0)

Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Virtual Crib general discussion View previous topic
View next topic
Creating an action? I think (vCrib V0.0.8.0)
Onethingafteranother

Post Creating an action? I think (vCrib V0.0.8.0) Reply with quote
Hi,

I've got the following software running,

Admin.exe
Master.exe
Phidget888.exe (to support Phidget 8/8/Cool

And the following quest,
On my Phidget, if (switch 1, PIK1 DI3) is pressed (LED 1, PIK1 DO1) turns on.

Progress so far,
I have managed to set up vCrib to list the (switch 1) press on Admin.exe log & Master.exe log.

Problem,
I have looked everywhere and cannot see how to tell vCrib that if it see's (switch 1) pressed then it should switch on (LED 1).

I tried looking on Wiki, but drew a blank on this as the subject lines have not yet been populated. Would somebody be kind enough to 'pen' me through the process and the screens.

Many thanks, Justin
Fri Mar 13, 2009 10:32 am View user's profile Send private message
hobbes487

Post Reply with quote
Ok, I don't have a Phidget board, but I will give it a try.

I assume you have a Phidget sensor object created. The object should have ON/OFF commands and events associated with it. These get created automatically when you create the device.

Go to the actions tab. At the bottom of the action list you can create a new action. On the right side of the screen add a trigger to the action. The trigger you should choose should be the ON event for your phidget sensor. Now you can add commands to the action that you want to be executed when the action is triggered (i.e. turn your light on). follow the same steps to create an action that is triggered when the sensor is OFF.

hope that helps. vCrib is very complex in a good way, but can be daunting when you first get started, but once you get the hang of it, it becomes pretty simple. Hopefully we can get some volunteers to write some good documentation for this kind of stuff.

Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:42 am View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Onethingafteranother

Post Reply with quote
Hi Hobbes,

I would like to say yes, but no it's still not too obvious what is going wrong and Admin.exe doesn't like my stumbles and errors as a result.

I have been renaming Vaughn objects and locations, but it's not working for me. It's difficult without instructions so please bare with me.

I have set up the 'Objects', no idea about setting up 'Events' but the two items do feature in the list. Switch 1 and Light 1, I have set them to location test place. When I go into Actions, Switch & Light are not there. Bare in mind I am working amongst Vaughn setup that he released in V0.0.8.0 and it's all a bit confusing. I did delete everything, but then I couldn't set anything up at all, so it's easy for me to write over Vaughn's code.

Can 'somebody' do me a quick beginners guide to setting up the creation of two objects in Living room, one a switch and the other a light, both using a Phidget 8/8/8.

If I get this sorted then I'll happily write a guide Very Happy

Cheers,

error.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  124.27 KB
 Viewed:  9817 Time(s)

error.jpg

Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:18 pm View user's profile Send private message
Onethingafteranother

Post Reply with quote
Since my last post I have discovered the existance of a whole new set of controls under settings. I never even thought of looking there and I am so nosy normally when it comes to software Laughing The lack of these control is no doubt the cause of me getting stuck on simple tasks.

If anyone has started to write a quick guide then thank you and it will always be helpfull. If nobody has started yet then hold off for a while as I may be able to figure it out for myself, using my new found settings section.

Cheers,
Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:35 am View user's profile Send private message
Onethingafteranother

Post Reply with quote
I did it!

I now have two switches and two LED's. One switch causes 1 set of on / off's over the two LED's and the other switch causes a slightly different pattern and both pressed causes a third pattern.

You're right in what you say Hobbes, about it being complex, but in a good way. The ability to have ultimate control over what happens comes at the price of having to set up every little detail. Although it's complex, it's also great fun!

I so pleased I've managed to master the basics.
Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:42 am View user's profile Send private message
hobbes487

Post Reply with quote
That's great to hear. you will find that as you play with it more you continue to find new ways to things and lots of new possibilities.

Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:07 am View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Virtual Crib general discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: