The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Documentation Requests
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Virtual Crib general discussion View previous topic
View next topic
Documentation Requests
hobbes487

Post Documentation Requests Reply with quote
I would like to start a thread for requesting/suggesting walkthroughs or guides for specific configurations in vCrib. From things like setting up sending emails with vCrib to plugin installation instructions. Feel free to post your own requests and hopefully through this exercise we will find new ways to use vCrib and find volunteers to write these guides. I would recommend creating a wiki section for these types of guides (Bob?) and have people post them there.

Here are a few of my first suggestions:

- Setting up room occupancy based on a motion sensor
- Setting up a light OFF/ON actions
- Setting up SMTP and sending an email with a command
- Setting up a door/window/refrigerator left open reminder
- Installing and setting up Bluetooth Proximity
- Installing vCrib (current instructions need updating with latest releases)

Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:29 pm View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Onethingafteranother

Post Reply with quote
Here's one for setting up the SMTP function. Look it over and let me know what you think. I will proof read it properly tomorrow night.

http://mycorner.wikidot.com/vcrib-smtp

Cheers, Justin
Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:58 pm View user's profile Send private message
hobbes487

Post Reply with quote
I can not see the wiki. i think you need to change some settings to allow other people to view it.

Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:28 pm View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Onethingafteranother

Post Reply with quote
I think Wiki must log my IP as it is working fine off this connection, so I cannot tell if there is anything I need to change or if any of the tinkering I have just done has had an effect.

Try using just the base url http://mycorner.wikidot.com and see what happens.

I've never use Wiki before so it's another learning curve! I will see what happens for the work pc tomorrow (different IP). If that does not work then I will hopefully be able to tinker a bit more until it does.

It currrently has a public access right and all viewing restrictions are removed. I guess it could also be simply too early after setting up the account, although I can log out and still view the pages.

I'll let you know the update tomorrow.
Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:46 pm View user's profile Send private message
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
Hi Brian,

I just got your PM, I think this is a great idea. I was going to start writing up examples of how to do things in the wiki, so we're thinking along the same lines.

I originally set up the wiki as a temp one until we could get something hosted on the Virtual Crib website, or something tied into these forums. I can add more people to the wikidot access so others can contribute over there, or whatever you guys want to do

I'll look over your PM later and see what we can come up with. I haven't updated the wiki with new info in some time now

Clever image to be inserted here soon.... Smile
Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:57 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
hobbes487

Post Reply with quote
I agree. I think it would be much better to have a wiki hosted on the vCrib site. For now I think just posting guides into the forum would be the easiest until we can get something set up.

Onethingafteranother,

I can see your guides now. it looks great. Bob can give you access to the vcrib wiki to transfer it there and then eventually we will get a wiki hosted here to store all this stuff. Thanks for writing that up!

Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:48 am View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
Sorry guys, I got a new 'toy' for the summer and I've been out of the loop. I'm going to get my sh*t straight and I'll be back on board. I will get back into documenting stuff for the wiki

Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:36 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
hobbes487

Post Reply with quote
There is now a new wiki hosted on the site. It is not linked to from anywhere on the site yet because we want ot fill it up with some content first. There is also a more exciting reason, but more on that to come later. For now it can be found here: www.thevirtualcrib.com/wiki

I have been adding content and I migrated the SMTP guide onethingafteranother made. (i hope you don't mind). A lot of content still needs to be written. I would appreciate all of your help with documentation. I think a lot of stuff can be copied from the old wiki, but please be sure it is current/relevant. There is a lot of stuff that is out of date. So any help you guys can give would help a lot. Vaughn is working hard on the next version and I think it would be great to get the wiki filled with guides prior to the release. We want to make it as easy as possible for new adopters to get up and running without too much trouble.

Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:23 pm View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
Do we know what areas are changing? I know V said there would be some changes with the way things get configured through a web page vs. the admin.exe

vCrib Tester #1, Forum moderator, using INSTEON devices, X10 sensors and remotes via W800RF, All doors are wired with contact closures.
vCrib Wiki
Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:43 pm View user's profile Send private message
hobbes487

Post Reply with quote
To be honest i'm not really sure. I think all the apps will now be in .NET, but as far as changes to the way things are configured I am not sure if there will be any changes. I don't know what you mean about configuration through a web page. The only web interface I know of is with the client I made, which doesn't allow for configuration. It is just a front end.

Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:55 pm View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Onethingafteranother

Post Reply with quote
That's what I wrote it for, so no I don't mind. I was wait for Bob to grant access to the vcrib wiki so I could transfer it, but your way works just as good Very Happy That reminds me, Bob... what was the new toy??

I'll have a look around the new wiki tonight when I finish work and I'll help where I can. Although as a few of you know, what I know about vCrib compared to you guys could be written on the back of a stamp!

Justin
Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:06 am View user's profile Send private message
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
I picked up an 83 Cutlass with a 455 BBO, along with some other nice mods Smile

Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:01 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Onethingafteranother

Post Reply with quote
No wonder you've been distracted, I bet she sounds as good as she looks. I've said it before that you guys (as in USA) have better toys. That engine is almost 3.5 times bigger than mine Sad

I've had a chance to check out the new wiki and it looks good. I tried out the BT documentation but the BT Proximity.exe wont start so I'm about to post the error (in another thread of course) to see if anyone can help, once I've checked for sure that Vaughn is not addressing these issues (had same prob with vWinAmp.exe) in his next update.

Justin
Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:34 am View user's profile Send private message
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
Updated Objects, Events, and Conditions in the Terminology section of the new Wiki. I'm burned out for now. Maybe after lunch I'll work on Commands, Actions, and Variables. or not.

vCrib Tester #1, Forum moderator, using INSTEON devices, X10 sensors and remotes via W800RF, All doors are wired with contact closures.
vCrib Wiki
Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:37 pm View user's profile Send private message
hobbes487

Post Reply with quote
Awesome! It looks great. Thanks.

Fri Apr 24, 2009 2:50 pm View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Virtual Crib general discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: