The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
phpMyAdmin

Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Feature Requests View previous topic
View next topic
phpMyAdmin
pomprocker

Post phpMyAdmin Reply with quote
How about instead of all these bloatware mysql downloads if you just recommend phpMyAdmin?

I have tried to install and get vCrib to work many times over the last couple years with no luck.

Why must I have to download a handful of software to get it to work?

If it were up to me i'd make available a web application version written in java, and use a light mysql database with the administration either built in to the app, or offer phpMyAdmin to help.

Just my 2 cents.

I honestly do not like the idea of my home being run by Windows Wink

Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:25 pm View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
If you want a Unix/Linux/Mac app, they already exist. I wrote this system so I could control my house with Windows.

I do agree on MySQL though, it has been the bane of this project. I mean I have NO issues with MySQL, but it seems impossible for anyone else to use. I wish I could preconfigure a silent install of it or something... Switching at this point will require me rewriting the inter-app communications, which I would like to do using WCF or TCP, but that will take a lot of time and I just don't know if it is worth it right now.

I just need to find a way of hosting and walking people through the MySQL installs for now. I mean commercial apps are much easier, but most free apps do require carze support installs... Perl, Java runtimes, etc. I did not think installing a package like MySQL would be such a big deal... I also hoped that someone attracted to the project you have ySQL experience and would be able to help with some ideas to make the MySQL part of it easier.

I am keeping an open mind and if I find another practical way to improve things I will.

As for the files I have hosted now, they are using links to MySQL host servers, I will try to keep the files locally to keep them from breaking my links...

Vaughn

Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:37 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
Hmm, I've never had a problem with Windows. Actually I have frequent problems, but those are all related to dying hard drives. Maybe I shouldn't leave my computers on 24/7/365, lol

Clever image to be inserted here soon.... Smile
Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:38 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Feature Requests All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: