The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
deleted event

Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Virtual Crib general discussion View previous topic
View next topic
deleted event
pomprocker

Post deleted event Reply with quote
i accidentally deleted an event

Bedroom Light OFF

Isnt there an UNDO somehwere?

Isnt there a way to add new events???

Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:02 am View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
You can add a new event. If you deleted the ON event, just g to the OFF event, rename it and change the command to ON and the click add.

Vaughn

Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:54 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
pomprocker

Post Reply with quote
well since i posted this i accidentally deleted the bedroom light object.

how do i add a new object?

i get a run time error when trying to rename and add an object

Duplicate entry 'Bedroom Light OFF' for key 'ind_description'

Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:42 pm View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
The rename and Add should work, but maybe when you accidently deleted the other one, it left some events behind. Although it should not. You can simply go to Events and delete any for that bathroom light, then use the rename and add.

I will check to see what I can do about the duplicate keys in the morning. If objects are deleted cleanly, you should never see them, but it has com up before where someone got their stuff out of sync and I just deleted the events, but I will see if I can just avoid that with a check first.

Vaughn

Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:52 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
pomprocker

Post Reply with quote
How do I add DIM and BRIGHT to the Bedroom light?

It seems I can't create an event without a command and I can't add a command without an event??

Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:40 pm View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
You do not need a "Command" to make an Event. An Event is the combonation of a Object/Device and a Status/State of that device.

So: Bathroom Light is the Object in 4 Events, each having a different Status (ON,OFF,BRIGHT,DIM). The label on the Events tab says command, but it just means the command that causes that status (ON, OFF,etc)... It does not refer to the Command subsystem in vCrib.

Now, the Command subsystem in vCrib DOES require an Event. And you can think of that as "Execute the Commnd that Generates this Event". So the Bathroom Light ON Command set to the Bathroom Light ON Event is simply telling the system to Execute the proper Command that will result in the Event Occuring...

Turn on light is a command, and the light has been turned on is an Event... they are directly related, so the command just refrence the event instead of making you define the Object/State combonation twice.

I hope this helps, let me know if you are still having issues.

Vaughn

Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:16 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
pomprocker

Post Reply with quote
I am having issues wrapping my brain around this one.... Shocked

youre still not telling me how to add/remove/edit these things

Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:39 pm View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
Events, commands etc, usually all tie back to the object, the error you're seeing there seems to be referring to a duplicate by name. The easiest way to get everything back is to try adding an object with a different name. If the object type supports DIM BRIGHT those events and commands will be added automatically. You can review the features of a device type by looking in the settings menu.

Usually when we delete an object it will cascade through the tables and also delete the events and conditions. It sounds like you deleted an event first, which caused a sequencing problem and probably didn't clean everything up correctly when you alter deleted the object. Normally to add an event that you have deleted you can just find a similar event, rename it and hit ADD. Use update if you are just changing a parameter etc. Get in the habit of using the update button frequently as simply changing something or checking a box, in general, does not save the change.

vCrib Tester #1, Forum moderator, using INSTEON devices, X10 sensors and remotes via W800RF, All doors are wired with contact closures.
vCrib Wiki
Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:30 pm View user's profile Send private message
pomprocker

Post Reply with quote
Humanzee wrote:
Events, commands etc, usually all tie back to the object, the error you're seeing there seems to be referring to a duplicate by name. The easiest way to get everything back is to try adding an object with a different name. If the object type supports DIM BRIGHT those events and commands will be added automatically. You can review the features of a device type by looking in the settings menu.

Usually when we delete an object it will cascade through the tables and also delete the events and conditions. It sounds like you deleted an event first, which caused a sequencing problem and probably didn't clean everything up correctly when you alter deleted the object. Normally to add an event that you have deleted you can just find a similar event, rename it and hit ADD. Use update if you are just changing a parameter etc. Get in the habit of using the update button frequently as simply changing something or checking a box, in general, does not save the change.

Thanks, probably what happened. Anyway I did delete the bedroom light object and then re-add it, but it only comes with ON and OFF, no BRIGHT or DIM. I'll have to check the settings tab when I get home I guess.

Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:52 pm View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
yeah, you probably have the type as "x10 switch" instead of "x10 dimmer". Also note that x10 does not support arbitrary dimming levels in a parameter so you can not go ON 50% like you can with Insteon. You may need to do ON, DIM, DIM, DIM, DIM, DIM, etc. Also, I have not tested a palm remote with the dim bright buttons. Ill have to review the log to see what comes through the W800RF app when you press them.

I rarely need to use Dim Bright from a remote as that is normally handled by other conditions such as time of day, day of week, etc.

vCrib Tester #1, Forum moderator, using INSTEON devices, X10 sensors and remotes via W800RF, All doors are wired with contact closures.
vCrib Wiki
Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:11 pm View user's profile Send private message
pomprocker

Post Reply with quote
ok this is ridiculous...nothing is as you say it is...

adding a device/object should be easy as 123 not like doing some math problem!!!

arrrrrrggg

Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:40 pm View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
It is that easy, I add an object in like 2 seconds... Everything is created automatically... without seeing what you are doing wrong, it is hard to help you...

All Humanzee was saying is that when you add the Object, you tell it what type of object you are adding... If you add a dimmer you get Bright and Dim commands, if you add a relay you don't.

the fastest way to add a dimmer, is select any other dimmer, change the name, give it a new address and click add... everything is done for you...

I don't know what people are doing wrong. I helped one guy who says he has tried to install mysql like 9 times, so I logged into his machine while he watched me, I uninstalled his efforts, and reinstalled it and everything was perfect in 5 minutes... He said "That is what I did", I guess it was not... I will walk you through it on the phone, I will do it for you, then maybe you can tell me what you were doing differently....

You have my IM, why don't you go through it step by step or something... Just saying you are having problems is not getting us anywhere. I will change anything that does not make sense, but as is, short of adding a Wizard for you, I don't know what else to offer.

Vaughn

Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:05 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
pomprocker

Post Reply with quote
hey you're right saying i am having problems does not offer troubleshooting help...i just get frusterated....i think i'm getting somehwere though..

I hooked up my bedroom fan to the TM751 transceiver today because I just found out they double as an appliance module.

I added it into vCrib as an X10 Relay and got the ON/OFF status added automatically.

Now, when I do A1 ON/OFF from my Palm Pad it works. When I do it from the Powerlinc v2 USB via vCrib it doesnt work. I've tried moving modules around to different plugs and unplugging things that might suck up the signal and still nothing.

Note that all my X10 devices are confined to my bedroom for now.

Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:31 pm View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Ok, I think we got this resolved in that the TM751 will not see any PLC signals, so that is why the PalmPad worked on it.

We will work on your setup some more, but it looks like we made some progress on figuring out some of the issues over IM.

Thanks for your patience.... I have used a W800RF since about the 3rd week I started in home automation, so I am not used to some of the different configurations people have. Now that I know your setup better, we will have you up to speed in no time at all..

Vaughn

Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:34 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
pomprocker

Post Reply with quote
hmmm the alarm clock setup you explained to me last night didn't go off this morning

not sure what i missed.

Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:57 am View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Virtual Crib general discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: