The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Vcrib as a service
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Virtual Crib general discussion View previous topic
View next topic
Vcrib as a service
Eatmeimadanish

Post Vcrib as a service Reply with quote
Does anyone know offhand if VCRIB will run properly if I set it up as a service?
Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:51 pm View user's profile Send private message
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Some apps more than others. It would be nice to have them all managed that way...

Vaughn

Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:51 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Eatmeimadanish

Post Reply with quote
So Master.exe will work... I don't mind running executables, I just don't want windows to populate since i am building an HTPC around this solution and would like VCRIB to work silently in the back ground. I am running EventGhost as my shell instead of explorer.

Do we know which ones will not run correctly as a service, or has this not been tested? (in which case I will do the testing on whatever I end up using and report back)
Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:34 pm View user's profile Send private message
hobbes487

Post Reply with quote
I don't think anyone has really done any testing on this yet. It would be great if you are willing to put in the time to do it.

Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:53 pm View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Eatmeimadanish

Post Reply with quote
I will definitly. My goal is to remove Explorer shell completely and replace it with Eventghost (XBMC is my UI). Using the launcher plugin and custom theme I am creating macro events to trigger Eventghost. Since explorer will not be running, it never hits the startup directory. I can have Eventghost launch EXE's, but there is little to no failover if something crashes. So I would like them running as a services.

I will test out what I can and do some documentation, my plan right now is to use Phidget and X10 devices.
Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:18 am View user's profile Send private message
Eatmeimadanish

Post Reply with quote
P.S. Any way I can get my hands on VCCL.exe? I can't seem to locate it.
Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:19 am View user's profile Send private message
Eatmeimadanish

Post Reply with quote
Nevermind Humanzee answered another post.
Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:35 am View user's profile Send private message
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
vccl.exe and CMDLine.exe are both included in the new 0090.5 build. I will post the info elsewhere, but the build is done! I have everything including a full series of videos to cover the install done. I am working on getting them all uploaded and they should be on the site tonight, tomorrow at the worst.

If you have trouble with the applications and want us to focus on making some of them services, I will be glad to work on that.

Vaughn

Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:23 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Eatmeimadanish

Post Reply with quote
so far I have master, phidget and the bluetooth proximity app running without issue as services. We setup a relay with the Phidget Board and a door strike and have the bluetooth opening the door when we are gone for more than 30 minutes. These are all running as services.
Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:02 pm View user's profile Send private message
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I started rewriting Master.exe as a proper service. I got the new master class file running my house now (just called from a Windows form so I can still debug.) I will move it into the Service project I made tomorrow. I know you say the existing one runs as a service, but I am making it more service friendly... no more screen, more entries into the Unified Log to make up for it, etc.

The last service I made was a VB6 app in a service wrapper back in the Windows NT days... so this is the first one I have made in .NET 2008. I would like for most apps to be a service so when you get rebooted, the house is more likely to just work again, without having to log in and start everything..

So thanks for the motivation...

Vaughn

Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:58 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Eatmeimadanish

Post Reply with quote
The other benefit to this is it can run independently of the logged in user (with proper creds), can autorestart if it crashes (wuch you talkin about willis) and will start on a reboot. Since I am running my shell as Eventghost and not Explorer, anything in the startup menu does not get run, and I avoid putting too many things in the autostart in EG since if it gets recycled it launches these things over again. Which is more annoying then Keaunu Reaves.
Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:07 am View user's profile Send private message
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
My biggest concern is the Install. Many people have complained that with MySQL and the such, the install is too complicated. Now how to get this service installed on someone's machine... How to Install multiple copies for beta versions.... How to upgrage the service for people... I would make a batch file, but depending on the path of the vCrib directory, and possible which operating system they are using, it will change what would have to be in the batch file.

So as I see it, using services is going to add manual steps to the install and to upgrading...

Well, I have finished Master, now calling it MasterService.exe. I am installing it like this:
CD C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.3705
InstallUtil c:\vcrib\MasterService.exe

Should I just make it a normal app, that is service friendly, then share the instruction on running it as a service, or just figure out how to make the dedicated service install and run right and have that be the only option?

Vaughn

Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:07 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Eatmeimadanish

Post Reply with quote
VCRIB is definitely an awesome tool, but like any tool we must learn how to use it, to make it effective. So the manual install process can be a healthy process. I think your focus should be on functionality, one thing I can do is make installs easier (something I do at my job every single day). I can dedicate some of my time in wrapping these into installs that prompt the user appropriately and configure the machine accordingly.

To answer your question, lets just leave the masterservice.exe with the install instructions, and I will create an autoinstall version.
Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:01 pm View user's profile Send private message
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Good deal. I have like 4 versions of Master now... I have the original, I have it as a class that a service can call, I have a dedicated service and I have it as a Windows app wrapping the class =) So I have been coding myself into a state of confusion =).

Now I am thinking since you have the original app running as a service ok, that maybe it is better to stick to the original Master.exe, but update it like I did the service version to make sure it is as streamlined as possible, and just let people decide how they want to run it... I am not sure of the benefits of making it run as a service only. For debugging, it is nice to have it as a standard windows app so I can run it from source. To debug a service, I have to compile it and install it, making it much harder to see what is wrong with it.

As for installers, I am glad you have some experience with them. My installer is a mess. I use Visual Studio Installer 1.1, which is ancient, but handles the VB6 dependancies ok. The .NET apps don't even need an installer, but an installer with them may open up some options, such as properly registering the services, etc. I am not sure.

I will keep on coding away, but for the 0090 version to hit a production state, I think I will put off the new MasterService, and just fix master up a little. Again, you have them running the way you need them now, so I am not too sure there is any immediate benefit. I would like to address any needs you have though, so if you run into any problems or want some custom code changes for vCrib, just let me know and I will gladly get right on them...

Vaughn

Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:54 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Eatmeimadanish

Post Reply with quote
I would think having two versions, one normal and one we can run as a dedicated service would suffice. During the install method we can have the user select if they want to run this as a service or not.
Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:22 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Virtual Crib general discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: