The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Where I'm at

Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Virtual Crib general discussion View previous topic
View next topic
Where I'm at
SnyperBob

Post Where I'm at Reply with quote
I found out that hard drive wasn't actually dead. The machine was just overheating during summer in my wiring closet. Now that the heat is on in the house, I just close the vent in the wiring closet and it stays nice and cool in the basement. The server has been up and running for a couple weeks now, without issues.

I will look into small A/C units for the wiring closet or something. I haven't even installed a door yet to close off that room, it will really cook when summer comes if there was no open doorway!

I recently installed an Elk M1G. I know I've hinted at it in some other posts. It's just a basic setup since it costs so damn much, but it's working great, I have the wife using it and I have it controlling some lights. I just bought a cheap x10 light controller that plugs into the panel and only controls x10. It was kind of a quick fix, because I thought my server box was down and I couldn't afford to drop more cash on another hard drive.

I really need to also figure out how to get vCrib to talk with my new Elk M1 panel.

Unfortunately I want to run my security system via an Elk, since it's hardwired and easier to use for the wife (with keypads and whatnot), and battery backed up. I moved all that stuff from vCrib over to the hard wired Elk. The x10 wireless stuff was pretty much flawless, but I wanted 100%. The Elk has all the other features that you want, can phone the cops, etc....

Having said all that, I miss vCrib. I miss having it control music and all that. I will get that back up and running ASAP. I still have no problems with x10 switches that Vaughn gave me. That is literally rock solid.

Does anyone else have an Elk panel? Anyone that knows how to program Smile Since I moved everything over, now I can't see the status of any of my doors/windows/etc via the vCrib web interface

Clever image to be inserted here soon.... Smile
Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:24 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
Enough money for an M1 but not enough for a new hard drive. You're a funny guy Bob, I guess its about priorities.

In my "under the stairs" server room I just cut a 4"x 8" vent hole into the wall close to the ceiling and covered it with a grill. The door then has about 3/4" of space below it. This creates a convection current that automatically vents the room into the kitchen. It is still about 10F higher in the server room than outside of it, but at least its not 20F higher. In the summer I just open the door to the room a little to give it more air. I considered using dryer ducting directly from the case fan to the vent in the wall, but I could find no clean way to do it with the materials I had on hand. The thought was to take the air directly from the main heat source and get it out of the room. I may still do this but its not a priority. The HD-PVR is the only component that seems to have heat related issues and it is mounted low to the floor. I also use a Thermalright ultra-120 with a 120 mm fan. I had to lap the heat sink to get it flat, but I have had zero cooling issues, and its quiet. Just barely fits in my case but it works.

RE: the ELK, I am envious. If you want to buy Vaughn an M1 to play with I'm sure he would be happy to code support for it.Very Happy Then you could buy me one to test with. Very Happy Very Happy

vCrib Tester #1, Forum moderator, using INSTEON devices, X10 sensors and remotes via W800RF, All doors are wired with contact closures.
vCrib Wiki
Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:00 pm View user's profile Send private message
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
Ah, I guess I should have specified. I've had the Elk since March I think was when I got it. Because I bought the Elk, that's why I can't afford another hard drive, lol. I dropped a smack load of money on all that hardware. Someone over at cocoontech started their own business and had a crazy sale. I couldn't pass it up, I saved nearly $400

My server is back up and running, but now whatever old version of vCrib I was previous running is having database errors when I try to run it. So odd, not sure why I'm getting errors, I hadn't touched the config at all, the computer sat off for months.

Instead of eating up time trying to figure out how to upgrade my existing install (and fix those errors) I may just start with a new install of the latest version of vCrib and start over. I don't have a lot of equipment to set up anymore, since most of the security stuff is moved over to the Elk.

I will have more time to play with all this stuff over the winter. I still will be using my w800rf and Insteon PLC via vCrib, so there's still a lot of stuff I can do with it. I'm not impressed with the logging of the Elk, I much like how vCrib does it, so I can see exactly when everyy sensor was tripped and stuff like that

Clever image to be inserted here soon.... Smile
Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:20 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
One key thing I did a long time ago was make an excel file that has all my device names and their physical addresses. That way I don't have to take off cover plates to see them. Saved me a time or two. In the early days of vCrib, upgrading sometimes meant losing all your data.

vCrib Tester #1, Forum moderator, using INSTEON devices, X10 sensors and remotes via W800RF, All doors are wired with contact closures.
vCrib Wiki
Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:47 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Virtual Crib general discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: