The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Tell me about vCrib's Scene Management?

Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Virtual Crib general discussion View previous topic
View next topic
Tell me about vCrib's Scene Management?
Aaron

Post Tell me about vCrib's Scene Management? Reply with quote
I have searched the wiki and the forum for info on how scene management is done in vCrib. Is there any info I have missed?

I'm interested in...

Scene creation
- add devices/events to a defined "scene"
- multiple scene outcomes based on condition (time/day/etc) usign a simple, single, GUI (not jumping all over the place... 1 scene, one condition set)

Scene Mgmt
- track multiple scenes (know what is on/off/dim, when, and how SceneA interacts with SceneB, C, etc)
- 'last scene' feature (go back)
- scene priority (gives one scene more control over devices then another)

... etc
Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:08 pm View user's profile Send private message
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
ideologically we haven't gone the scene route. Though you can use conditions and variables to make pseudo scenes. For example, my family room has one light. Based on a condition set, I have the light turn on, only if it is after dark. Likewise, if it is after 11:00 pm it will only come on at 30% brightness. If it is after 1:00 am it will have an auto off time of 2 minutes instead of 17.

You could build something like ..
Create a variable called Family_Room_Scene.
Create some commands to update the Family_Room_Scene variable value to as many scene types as you would like.
movie, dinnerparty, TVTime, Sleep, etc.
Next build some conditions of type "Variable Value" that reference the Family_Room_Scene variable and one of the named scenes you created.
Then when you build actions for the Family room you can use the conditions as qualifiers for the commands that will run. Also you can use the "Family_Room_Scene Changed" event as an additional trigger for the event. This way Occupancy or changing the Family_Room_Scene variable will set the scene. Then the only missing thing is to figure out how you would like to trigger changes to the Family_Room_Scene. You could use a remote button, or time of day, or a scheduled event.

You can also use one button to toggle through the available scenes. To do this, review the way I set up my "Complex Alarm Clock" in the wiki. http://www.thevirtualcrib.com/wiki/index.php?title=Alarm_Clocks_/_Time_Based_Routines

So an action would look something like.....
Action Name: Family Room Party
Action Trigger: Family Room Occupied,
Action Trigger: Family_Room_Scene Changed
Action Condition: Family_Room_Scene = Party
Action Command: Disco Ball ON
Action Command: Disco Lights ON
Action Command: CMDLine Tell EventGhost to turn on Stereo, set volume to 70%
Action Command: CMDLine Tell EventGhost to load Disco Hits playlist.
Action Command: Release mag lock on Liquor Cabinet.

Using the variable and condition systems you can build anything, but there is currently no "single, simple GUI", You could add map layers and have them represent Scenes, which would then show you device status, however, Variables can not yet be assigned graphics. Did this answer your question? I'm not sure that I fully understand your terminology. Can you describe what you want based on vCrib terms?

vCrib Tester #1, Forum moderator, using INSTEON devices, X10 sensors and remotes via W800RF, All doors are wired with contact closures.
vCrib Wiki
Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:22 am View user's profile Send private message
Aaron

Post Reply with quote
Do people not use Scenes?

Maybe I have more of what I call 'true' HA needs then others? Simply turning a light on at a predetermined time or with motion detect is dead simple - I want something that has real power but is simple to build. What you describe might be powerful but FAR from simple to build/maintain.

Are there any plans in the near future to integrate a scene manager or the like?
Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:34 am View user's profile Send private message
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Insteon supports groups. You just turn on or off the group to use the scene. However, Insteon's handling of retries, etc with groups is sloppy and there seems to be a lot of collisions. Hopefully the PLM will handle them better than the PLC.

The scene setup is currently in the Insteon.exe and not handled in Admin.exe.

Vaughn

Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:57 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Aaron

Post Reply with quote
Groups don't really handle scenes like I'm talking about.

Example...

Your Scenes:
A - Light 1,2,3,4
B - Light 2,3,4,5,6
C - Light 1,2,3,4 (different dim levels then A)
D - Light 4,5,6 (different dim levels then B)

Situations:

Trigger B
- if you want to go back to the previous lighting, can you do this with one button? Does it know what the dim levels and which lights were on/off?
- does it know only to change the ones your scene changed?
- does it have the intelligence to change back using a conditional... e.g. it went from daytime to night time and you have a different preference for night lighting?

After you trigger B, trigger A
- Does it leave on Light 1?
- If not, how does it know to turn them off?
- Do you have the option to turn off or leave on 1 due to a conditional?

What if you want to go back to the previous lighting, Scene B?
- can you do this with one button and it knows what the dim levels and which lights were on/off?

Trigger C
- Does it leave on Lights 5 & 6?
- If not, how does it know to turn them off?
- Do you have the option to turn off or leave on due to a conditional?

A scene manager should handle all of these situations easily by using scene groups (scenes that affect each other), scene priorities, and the conditionals. Using a simple interface it should walk you through building complex scenes.

Example:

Your Scenes (same as above):
A - Light 1,2,3,4 (default, priority=1)
B - Light 2,3,4,5,6 (default, priority=2)
C - Light 1,2,3,4 (guests, priority=1)
D - Light 4,5,6 (guests, priority=1)

Scene Group Preference Order:
1) default
2) guests

Situations:

Trigger B and you want to go back... the system remembers your lighting and since A & B are a group, it knows to deal with both A & B lighting when it does an "undo".

After you trigger B, trigger A
- Does it leave on Light 1? ... Yes, it sees that A has a higher priority so it leaves it on. If B had a higher priority it would turn Light 1 off.

Does this make sense?

Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:47 am View user's profile Send private message
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
It makes sense. Can you point to an existing appication that does this?

Vaughn

Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:03 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Insteon grouping does handle the same light in multiple groups with different Ramp Rates and Dim Levels in each group. But as for saving previous state, or partial states, I don't know of anything that does.

The other problem is that it is also a Protocol issue, ie even if vCrib knew all the lights and states, when you go activate the scene, you do not want to issues the commands 1 at a time... If there are 20 lights in the scene, it would take a long time for the software to activate them all... you just want to call a scene name from the underlying protocol like Insteon. This is what Insteon Groups are... they are just Scenes and you would call the scene with a Broadcast message and all the devices that are a member of that scene respond based off of the single transmition from vCrib.

Vaughn

Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:09 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Virtual Crib general discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: