The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
VR and Speaker questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Virtual Crib general discussion View previous topic
View next topic
VR and Speaker questions
Datahead

Post VR and Speaker questions Reply with quote
Hi all... In the process of waiting for the insteon interface and other parts I have been playing with the VR and speaker part of the software. I have a few questions.

Obviously everyone is going to have a different way they speak to Vcrib. I am going to assume by changing the Grammar.XML file one can customize what Vcrib understands. For example If I add <p>what time is it</p> to the grammar.XML file Vcrib understands this. In the log of admin it shows an input of "what time is it" so I assume it is working at least in VR. However it does not display on the right side of VR unless I am in dictation mode

The question I have is how do I get speaker to respond to this input? I have set up a group in speech with the responses that executes in Admin when I manually click the command. TTS Group, Speaker House - Speak From: What time is it

Also I noticed an error during initialization of speaker of "setting startup parameters value of -4 not valid for (Goes off screen) when speaker starts up. Perhahs this is an issue

Is there any documentation on setting up voice commands and interfacing them to commands and what not? Or what have others here done with the VR part of the application.

Thanks
Ron

Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:52 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
There is a problem with VR in 0090 in that recognized speech does not trigger events. Vaughn told me he fixed or re-wrote it today for xp pro but there is a new speech api for windows 7 so I think that there will be two versions of speaker.exe and VR.exe, one for each OS. I don't know when he expects to release them but I understand that there is a database patch to run as well as new exe's

Thanks for being patient.

vCrib Tester #1, Forum moderator, using INSTEON devices, X10 sensors and remotes via W800RF, All doors are wired with contact closures.
vCrib Wiki
Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:58 pm View user's profile Send private message
Datahead

Post Reply with quote
Ah yes... Windows 7... LOL... I don't think I have a machine that will run it as I bought a copy of Vista and pulled it off my machine almost right away, so I am behind it hardware dept. But its a P4-3gig machine with 4gig of ram so for XP it works great.

Anyway, no problem on the wait... Is there any documentation on setting up the VR and speaker aspect and how to intigrate them into commands and such, or am I on the right track working with the grammar.xml file?

Ron

Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:11 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Well, where to start... there WAS a bug where AFTER recognition, the actions were not being ran. I fixed that already. There is the requirement that you load the grammer.xml file in VR or you will get an error when you try to start recognizing speech (That is no longer necessary in the unreleased version.

The biggest limitation was the making of the grammer.xml file, it was done by admin when the VR screen was updated. I have replaced that whole system now and the VR.exe apps make and load their own grammer.xml files so they do not need to be loaded at all now.

I am just uploading my new bathroom demo video, at the end of it, it shows some of the new features coming out, including the new VR tab in admin and how to setup the different VR apps.

The version you have should work though. The error you are seeing when Speaker.exe starts up is the com port for the AB8SS, since you are not using one, it should not cause you an issue. The right window in VR.exe should show you any matching hits from the grammer.xml file, and NOT in dictation mode.

So on the VR tab in admin.exe, you should have a phrase "what time is it", it should be running a command or action to speak the time. This should automatically put "what time is it" in your grammer.xml file you load in VR.exe. After starting recognition, you should be able to speak "what time is it" and it should show up in the right log box in VR.exe. If all is working well, you will also see the logs for the command it is supposed to execute.

I can release 0091 soon if people are interested in the new VR features.

Vaughn

Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:26 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Datahead

Post Reply with quote
Thanks Vaughn,
From what I can see you nailed my issue right on the head. as if I watch the VR log in admin it sees the Voice cmd as an input. So I am assuming the VR is working. Seems to me the speaker app is not working as I get an error of "Error Setting Startup Parameters of '-4' is not valid for" and the message goes off the page when I first start speaker. However if I manually exicute the tts cmd in admin such as "weather" it speaks, so I am at a loss of what may be the issue.

Thanks
Ron

Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:39 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Let me get some things clear.

1. On startup of speaker you get an error, but it runs.
2. If you execute a command or action manually from admin, speaker will execute it ok.
3. VR loads and recognizes your phrase.
4. VR logs the execution in the right log box.
5. Speaker does not respond or show that it was told to execute the command you are expecting.

Are these right?

On the VR tab in admin, what do you have selected for it to do for that phrase? Run an Action, or a Command?

Vaughn

Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:32 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Datahead

Post Reply with quote
Okay here goes... LOL...

#1 yes... Error listed above in last post.
#2 yes...
#3 yes, but only on the left side of VR window. It does show as an input in the log of the Admin Client program if I check the VR box. Also I notice the gramar.xml file is changeing size from 6.7k to 1.74k if I update anything in the VR tab of Admin, and then no commands work on the right side of VR Client program.
#4 See #3 but it seems to only recognize the command in the left log box.
#5 Speaker does not respond.

----------------------------------

On the VR tab I have the command set to Phrase: What time is it; Command: Speaker House - Speak From: time (A series of phrases I set up in the speech tab.)
If I execute the command manually it speaks

I could set up a way for you to actually look at the computer from your end if you like. I forget the name of the software to use. Shoot me an email at rgriesse@cox.net and we can set it up if you like.

Thanks
Ron

Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:26 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Datahead

Post Reply with quote
Just a sub note as I was having installation issues with the XP Pro Machine I loaded it on my XP-MCE machine as well and this is the machine we have been discussing.

Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:50 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
For the VR client, the left log is Microsoft's VR engine. If it shows up there (a lot of stuff shows up there) and is a real match, it confirms that the entry was in the grammer.xml. At that point the app looks in vcrib's phrase table to see if there is a matching phrase. If there is a matching phrase, it should log it in the right window.

You should also be able to use the emulation in the VR app and just type the phrase in and see if it matches and makes a log entry.

I am sorry this is horrible timing as I have been working on new versions and will have to look at some code to see exactly where the log entry you see in Admin is made, etc.

I do like to use logmein.com to work on client's machines, but things using SAPI are tricky depending on the remote sound settings you use, etc. If you set up an account on there, it may come in handy. For now, we should be able to get through this, I will pull up the 0090 source tomorrow and isolate the disconnect a little better.

As for the grammer size getting smaller, that should be fine as the test grammer file probably just had more stuff in it and a fresh setup will have very little. The only thing to do there is update it from admin, then open it and see if the items that are in admin's list are in there. let me know if they are, but those phases are not recognized or something.

Also, my other testers don't use VR, so if you want to beta test the latest version, I can do that upgrade for you over logmein, etc. Let me know if you are intereted.

Vaughn

Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:57 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Datahead

Post Reply with quote
As to the VR yes as that is something I would like in my system. I guess the ultimate VR would be to have the VR look for a name being said and then to listen for a command to follow. An example would be:

User in the room says "HAL" the computer responds with "yes Dave" or some other response (That one just came to mind... LOL) then waits for a command such as "turn on lights" then runs the command to turn the lights on.

This way the computer even though it is alway listening it wont run the command unless it is ask to by name.

This would be cool, but for now I could live with just commands for now. Something to work twords I guess.

Anyway, I have setup logmein so we can go from there. Also I would love to beta test anything we can do to make this system better. I am still waiting on the instion interface, X-10 hardware and the phiget 8/8/8 I ordered but for now getting the VR and speaker to work is more than enough to keep me busy for the moment...

Shoot me and email or PM as to when you want ti do the logmein thing and I'll send you the password.

Thanks
Ron

Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:38 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I emailed you...

As for the activation word, I could easily do that, and tried it in the beginning, but I have to tell you, it really does not work.

The problem is with a TV going or a group of people talking, it will eventually think it hears "Hal" then it goes active and gets tons of false matches... and may even spam you with recognized phrases by the time you can get it shut off. It is a nightmare when you are trying to watch a movie or have company.

So after that experience, I just went to microphones you can turn on and off easily. In many cases I soldered my own momentary switches into the cables or mics.

It won't hurt any for me to add the activation phrase to the VR app though, so I will do that for the test build I give you.

Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:38 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
Make the activation phrase a feature that can be turned on and off. That way either use scenario is applicable.

vCrib Tester #1, Forum moderator, using INSTEON devices, X10 sensors and remotes via W800RF, All doors are wired with contact closures.
vCrib Wiki
Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:50 pm View user's profile Send private message
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
After working with Datahead on this, I have a patched VR.exe. I can't get it in the download section right now, so I am attaching it here.

Vaughn

VR.rar
 Description:
VR.exe v0090a. Commands and Actions now execute properly.

Download
 Filename:  VR.rar
 Filesize:  65.6 KB
 Downloaded:  909 Time(s)

Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:18 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Datahead

Post Reply with quote
After messing around a little the VR seems to be working great, both in command and action.

Thanks Vaughn

Ron

Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:15 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Onethingafteranother

Post Turning off other computer VR actions Reply with quote
This should hopefully be a very simple answer, but I'm not sure how to do it.

Can I (on Windows7) isolate the VR to only work with vCrib? Currently I start up Windows VR and then the vCrib VR module and whilst trying to get the vCib voice commands to work, the Microsoft VR starts opening files, deleting files, opening programs... it get's very messy. Especially as I am using a crapy microphone and it can barely hear me.

Any recommendations on Mics. I don't think I can get the unit used in Vaughn's Magic Box in the UK.
Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:49 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Virtual Crib general discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: