The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Back in the game
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Virtual Crib general discussion View previous topic
View next topic
Back in the game
SnyperBob

Post Back in the game Reply with quote
Hey guys,

I just couldn't put up living WITHOUT vCrib any longer. I found the problem with my server. The plastic mount that holds the processor heat sink down was broke. The processor was overheating and causing the machine to shut down. I'm guessing that the mobo has built in over heat protection or something.

Long story short, I replaced the $4 part and now I'm working on getting vCrib up and running again. I was having problems with my old install, I think it was 0080a or something.

So I just reinstalled from scratch. I have the DB up and running and just about all of my objects back in the program. I need to write all my actions and that stuff, but I wanted to get reacquanted with this program anyway. It's been like 2 years since I've done this (prior to my overheating problems I just used vCrib daily with no need to make changes).

I'm stuck on trying to get my Insteon Powerlinc 2414s (Serial port version) up and running. It just won't pick it up on the COM port. I remember way back when having to run a special little program I found on the Internet to 'set' the COM port, and then it worked in vCrib. I mentioned way back then to Vaughn it would be a good idea for him to host that program on this website for future use.

I need to find that post/email/PM to Vaughn and figure out what that program was called. I can't seem to find it on my machine. Other than that, I'll probably have some basic questions again on how to get SMTP and Winamp set up again. I'll hold off asking those questions until I spend some time looking over my old install to try and get it up working again myself.

0090 is really awesome. I love how everything is integrated now. I was up and running in like 30 minutes from scratch. I was having problems getting my w800rf to work, then realized I just had it set to the wrong port. Does the Insteon.exe have anywhere to set the port? I thought we used to put it in the vcrib.ini, but I might be wrong. It would be nice if I could specify the port in Insteon.exe just like I can in the w800rf app.

- gr33tz!

Clever image to be inserted here soon.... Smile
Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:03 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
Here's the link to that other program in case i forget again:

http://fredricksensoftware.us/Insteon/Set%20Port/index.htm

I'll have to play with this more later, I'm too tired to figure this out. I did notice that if I add INSTEON_PORT=3 to vcrib.ini, Insteon.exe mentions that it's connecting via that port. Hmmm
Well, Insteon.exe says "Registered command types for: PORT=3". That might mean something else, I don't know.

Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:17 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
ok, I'm really tired. But I removed that line from vcrib.ini (the line that I added) INSTEON_PORT=3.

I ran that little program and set the port that way, and now I think it's connecting. Such a handy little program, I have no clue how else I can set the port. I had to do it this way 2 years ago when I first set it up....

Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:19 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
What a nightmare....I think my old PLC (serial) is dead.

I just can't get this thing to respond. It can see x10 traffic on the power lines, but it doesn't actually do anything. I tried running through all the old directions on the thread about setting Sunrise and Sunset times but nothing works.

I keep getting errors that no map is loaded, the PLC is not connected or no valid map. Try using isresponding first.
isresponding = false. But the SDM in my tray shows 1 connection. The logs show X10 traffic on the powerlines. This is being sent by my Elk using a cheap x10 interface instead of a PLC.

MY FIRMWARE WHEN I RUN GETFIRMWARE ON THE PLC SAYS 0.0. uh oh? I was looking at old posts by myself on here and I think it used to say 2.3 or something like that. Is my PLC hosed?

I can't run timercoreapp12 command. I can't run downloadcoreapp. I tried sending a hard reset but that doesn't really work. Just sucks that it can see traffic, but I think the firmware is completely hosed. Any idea if there's a way to force a firmware update or something like that?

I run verifycoreapp command and get an access violation at a memory address. Guh

Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:29 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
Unfortunately, I have no idea Bob. Everything I knew, I learned from Vaughn and have since forgotten. You might try out some of the Smarthome software, I thought there was means through the timer software to update firmware. I could be wrong though.

vCrib Tester #1, Forum moderator, using INSTEON devices, X10 sensors and remotes via W800RF, All doors are wired with contact closures.
vCrib Wiki
Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:28 am View user's profile Send private message
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
I really think it's blown out. I tried running pretty much every command in Smarthome's doc and nothing really works. There's a ton of commands they support or whatever and it just doesn't work.

I was looking over my old posts and what I'm seeing now is definately different than what I had back when I first configured my PLC 1.5 years ago. I'll have to look around for another cheap PLC. I did buy this one used, so I'm not that pissed about it dying

Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:13 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
I saw one on eBay the other day for $20. But the auction had some time to go. I'm trying to PM Vaughn to see if it is worth getting a PLM instead. There are supposed to be some speed advantages there, but I am not sure when the code will come.

vCrib Tester #1, Forum moderator, using INSTEON devices, X10 sensors and remotes via W800RF, All doors are wired with contact closures.
vCrib Wiki
Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:43 pm View user's profile Send private message
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
I still don't know what the difference between the PLM and the serial port PLC is, but I'll probably just try to pick up another serial port PLC. I thought that the serial port PLC was faster than a USB PLC, but maybe I was thinking wrong....and it's the other way around PLM > PLC ??

Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:26 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
Talked with Vaughn for a second yesterday. The PLM is faster than the PLC and uses an API instead of an SDK, so it should be easier to program against. Also I see there is a "Dual Band" PLM that acts as one leg of an access point. So you could do wireless Insteon with it. Again no code for it yet.

vCrib Wiki
Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:37 pm View user's profile Send private message
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
ok, if you get a chance, see if Vaughn plans on supporting something like that in the future. If so, I'll hold off buying a new one until then. My Elk panel is controlling my lights for the time being, so I'm not in a hurry to get a new PLC/PLM.

I will probably pick up some more hard wired motion sensors and program the Elk to motion track the lighting around the house like vCrib was doing previously. This will be a little better since the hard-wired motions won't pick up my dog and trigger false

Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:17 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
SnyperBob wrote:
since the hard-wired motions won't pick up my dog and trigger false
You hope.

vCrib Wiki
Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:38 pm View user's profile Send private message
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Sorry guys, I fell behind for a week again. I got OneThing's CM11A work done, so I can show my face again.

The trick the the PLC might be to use the SDM and reset it, or download the core app directly from the SDM.

I am short on time and this thread is huge already, so I will try to read it in more detail a little later.

Let me know if you make any progress. vCrib does not talk directly to the PLC, it talks to the SDM, so serial or USB should not make any difference to vcrib.

Vaughn

Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:10 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
Humanzee wrote:
SnyperBob wrote:
since the hard-wired motions won't pick up my dog and trigger false
You hope.

What? The motion detectors I got for my Elk system are like 60 pound animal ones. My pet is like 20 pounds. And I don't have any cats, so it should work

Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:44 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
Yeah, it should. The way IR sensors work is by detecting the amount of heat difference and between sides of the sensor array over an amount of time. The size of the object in front of the sensor, is one factor in its sensitivity, its temperature difference to the most recent reading is another. I.e. you could have a hot mouse walking across an icy floor and it may register where as a 100 degree hippo walking through a 100 degree room may not register. Thus the "Petsafe" motion sensor, just has the sensitivity turned down a bit. It is by no means a guarantee that it will work perfectly at detecting those things you want, and not those things you don't.

So, you should hope that they work for you and not your dogs. If they do, great, if not .... Things like forced air heat or air conditioning can screw with motion sensors too. In our bedroom, we have a sensor watching the whole room, and some that just look at either side of the bed. The problem is, that the whole room sensor can see the dogs, the bed side sensor on one side can see out the door and down the hall, the other side can see the heat coming out of the duct. So, in vcrib, we have it set to require both room and a bed side sensor to trigger before the room is occupied.

In other places we make do by placing the sensors in such a fashion that they can not see the floor. On counter or cabinet tops etc.

I only bring it up because, in reality, I am jealous of your M1. Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go do the m16a battery dance.

vCrib Wiki
Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:27 pm View user's profile Send private message
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
Are you using X10 PIR motion detectors in your rooms? Before I decided to go with the M1, I was thinking about putting in a power system for the x10 motions. Just run power lines to the wiring closet and permanently mount the x10 motions so there's no more battery changing. I just couldn't live with the 'downfalls' of x10 PIR for security purposes. For occupant motion tracking/lighting they work great

The ones that my M1 will use are dual technology (PIR/Microwave Motion Detectors). Smile

Quote:
PIR draws less energy than microwave detection, and so many sensors are calibrated so that when the PIR sensor is tripped, it activates a microwave sensor. If the latter also picks up an intruder, then the alarm is sounded

Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:33 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Virtual Crib general discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: