The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
NEEDS DEVELOPER: Event Ghost integration
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Feature Requests View previous topic
View next topic
NEEDS DEVELOPER: Event Ghost integration
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
Oh, I'm sorry, this thread is a bit confusing....

Basically I want a way to interface vCrib with Homeseer. I think this needs to happen via events.

Humanzee is looking into doing something similar, but he wants vCrib to interface with Event Ghost.

I don't know much about Event Ghost. I don't know if Event Ghost would be able to interface with Homeseer. ie...if we could get vCrib to work with Event Ghost, then we could extend that to also work with Homeseer. Humanzee would know more about this.

I think Vaughn said something about vCrib already supporting events or something, but I'm not sure.

Actually, I don't know much about what Humanzee is talking about, but I think it's along the same lines of what I want to accomplish. Basically, I want vCrib to be able to interact with Homeseer. The key press thing was just a super simple idea I came up with because I don't know any better. But events would be the way to go, rather than key presses.

Clever image to be inserted here soon.... Smile
Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:49 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
hobbes487

Post Reply with quote
I don't really know much about Homeseer, but isn't it kinda like "competitor" to vcrib? I mean aren't they both supposed to be the "brains" behind the home automation? What can Homeseer do that vCrib can't and why don't we just develop plugins to fill these gaps? Like I said I don't know much about HS, so these are just the first questions that come to my mind. If it serves the best interest of vCrib I would definitely take a look at creating a plugin for HS especially if I didn't have to buy it Smile

Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:04 am View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Yes, Homeseer is a competetor and cost a couple hundred $. True, Homeseer has been out for many years and has more plugings developed for it. So there will never be a reason to run both or for them to talk.

If Homeseer has features that I can not provide, then =(. Else let me know what feature is swaying you that way and we will see if we can just provide that same functionality.

Vaughn

Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:36 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
ok, cool.

Well there are two things that Homeseer can do that I am interested in implementing with my house.

First, they used to have a plugin for an old piece of hardware called the Slink-e. It's basically an IR controller that has like 12 independent IR blasters. It interfaces with the computer via serial port. It's nice because you can have like 5 of the same stereo receivers in your wiring closet, and still control each one independently. Some other IR blasting solutions you would need 5 different receivers and it would blast all of them with the same signals.
The best part about the Slink-e is the price. Because it's an outdated piece of hardware one can be had for really cheap. I got mine off of eBay for less than $50.

http://www.smarthome.com/1331/Slink-e-Infrared-Equipment-Controller/p.aspx

You can also control up to 12 Sony 50, 200, 300, or 400 disc changers.

If you wanted to do this with a newer product that's out, you would need something like a Ocelot with a SECU-16IR expansion. That's nearly $250 to do what the old Slink-e can do. I guess if there was development/support for the Ocelot, I wouldn't mind taking the plunge. I just want to find a way to accomplish all of this.

Last edited by SnyperBob on Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:49 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
Second, Homeseer can be used for multimedia setups. We listen to a ton of music here. I have speakers in the ceiling of every room of the house. I'll eventually even have separate speakers for H/A announcements.

Homeseer supports jRiver Media Player, along with a ton of other solutions (Girder). JRiver supports multiple zones, so each zone can play different music at the same time. You can use something like NetRemote to interface with it all, and have a nice slick interface for viewing and controlling music.

Netremote supports multiple viewing resolutions and skins. So you can view it on a Nokia 770 and it would look like this:

Or you can view it on a laptop, touchscreen mounted in the wall, or PC and display a different skin, or different resolution:
[/url]

Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:56 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
I'm not trying to put of vCrib by any means. I just want to be able to interface more hardware with it, and make it easy on you guys (that do all the coding). I feel bad that I can't program well enough to tackle any plugins to solve this on my own.

I just want to be able to control multiple stereo receivers, support for multiple display resolutions, and have independent zone controls for music/video.

Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:15 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
I don't know, I'm already running into problems with the Slink-e. I picked mine up a while ago, and they they released newer versions of Homeseer/Girder that no longer supports the Slink-e because it's no longer sold. Maybe the Slink-e is not the way to go....

I still need at least a way to control multiple receivers via IR.

For a easy work around (expensive too), I think I'll just slowly acquire Sage media extenders for every room. I'll run component hd cables to each room to the wiring closet. I'll put the audio from the media extender to those component cables. Backfeed the audio to the wiring closet where the receivers will be....

And then connect the speakers to the receivers for each room. Its definately a ass-baskwards way of doing it, but then I'd have volume control in each room thru Sage and could just leave the receivers set to one volume in the wiring closet.

Now I just need to quad core, and beef up the hell outta my Sage server so it'll support 10 zones. Not to mention all of the extenders I'll need. Either way, this is going to be an expensive endeavor Sad

Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:23 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
Initially I just wanted to buy like 5 $30 used stereo receivers off eBay. Control them with the $50 Slink-e. Connect them to my cheaper ceiling speakers.....and just use any old PC to manage the interface and Slink-e with Netremote/Girder/Homeseer/J River.

Then, pick up a $100 Nokia 770 or something similar, and have one remote control for the entire house, no matter what zone I want to control.

That was where I was at when I came across thevirtualcrib.com and cocoontech Smile Since then I've been happily distracted by SageTV, lol.

I'm just glad that I opted to put volume knobs for each rooms speakers. I was going to use a Slink-e solution in the wiring closet to control volume, but since that is still in the works I've just been able to keep a receiver in the wiring closet set to max volume, and control it locally via the knobs in each room. Those knobs were another $200, but I am up and running now.

I've come a long way in a year, but still have a lot more to do. I'm getting there, slowly haha

Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:30 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
Event ghost has a generic serial port plug in which might be able to support your slink-e if you know all the commands it needs. I use the generic serial port plug in to control my AVR in the family room, and usbuirt to do the TV. The usbuirt support can blast 3 different zones. Also, I've been trying to get Vaughn to work on doing multichannel sound card control vs. the AB8SS which is now out of production. That could take care of at least the distribution of computer based audio and vCrib stuff. If you elect to get tuners with serial control there are other options for controlling them.

vCrib Tester #1, Forum moderator, using INSTEON devices, X10 sensors and remotes via W800RF, All doors are wired with contact closures.
vCrib Wiki
Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:02 pm View user's profile Send private message
hobbes487

Post Reply with quote
Humanzee wrote:
I've been trying to get Vaughn to work on doing multichannel sound card control vs. the AB8SS which is now out of production.

That would be awesome! It would lead to so many options and put vCrib ahead of most other HA software in the audio category.

Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:22 pm View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
hobbes487 wrote:
Humanzee wrote:
I've been trying to get Vaughn to work on doing multichannel sound card control vs. the AB8SS which is now out of production.

That would be awesome! It would lead to so many options and put vCrib ahead of most other HA software in the audio category.

If you can help find sample source code, I think that's what he is missing, I dug up some things and sent it to him, but I'm not really a programmer so I don't know if I was on target and helpful or not. The feature request thread for that one is http://thevirtualcrib.com/phpbbdir/viewtopic.php?t=196

vCrib Tester #1, Forum moderator, using INSTEON devices, X10 sensors and remotes via W800RF, All doors are wired with contact closures.
vCrib Wiki
Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:54 pm View user's profile Send private message
hobbes487

Post Reply with quote
SnyperBob wrote:
I feel bad that I can't program well enough to tackle any plugins to solve this on my own.

Now that there is a vCrib SDK I think you would find it a lot easier than you think to write a plugin. Especially if the other thing you want to interface with has its own SDK, all it really take is a bit of simple logic to get them to talk to each other. For example, wanted to get my lights in my living room to dim when I start watching a movie. I use Meedio as my HTPC front end and it has a nice SDK to develop plugins for so it literally took about 10 lines of code to create a plugin for it to call my lights dim command as soon as a video starts playing and lights on when it ends/pauses. This is all thanks to the SDKs of both Meedio and vCrib. If you want, and i'll probably do this anyway, I will write up a wiki page with a little tutorial on creating a vCrib plugin.

Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:49 am View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
[quote="hobbes487"]
SnyperBob wrote:
If you want, and i'll probably do this anyway, I will write up a wiki page with a little tutorial on creating a vCrib plugin.

Yes, please!

Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:49 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Eatmeimadanish

Post Reply with quote
If VCRIb is running on the same box as Eventghost, then VCRIB can easily send trigger events to Eventghost by running the command c:\EventGhost\Eventghost -e nameofevent

You will see the event appear in the Eventghost window and can trigger events accordingly. Now Eventghost can also send commands through just about any means (run a batch file, executable with arguments, mimick keystrokes and mouse movements, etc...) but being newbish with VCRIB I am not sure how/if you send command line instructions to VCRIB.

Eventghost can talk to other Eventghost on the same network through the network plugin, so its as simple as creating a bridge through that to trigger events.
Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:07 am View user's profile Send private message
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
0090 has a command line application, currently the command line application currently only accepts commands from outside apps. That is the one app that I want to get developed more before 0090 comes out. If vcrib could send and recieve command line options, Event Ghost integration would be easy. This may be the route to fixing the troublesome monitor power commands that don't seem to work correctly on all systems. I believe EG has monitor power commands.

vCrib Wiki
Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:52 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Feature Requests All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: