The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
NEEDS DEVELOPER: Event Ghost integration
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Feature Requests View previous topic
View next topic
NEEDS DEVELOPER: Event Ghost integration
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
The command line app will execute any command line...

You make a new command, and for the parameter just put "\program files\Event Ghost\eg.exe -e some event"

Hobbes can tell you more as I don't have his source for it and am not using it.

Vaughn

Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:50 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Eatmeimadanish

Post Reply with quote
What I would like to do is have Eventghost also communicate directly with VCRIB. I use EventGhost exclusively as my console shell in my HTPC with VCRIB running as a service in the background. However I am not sure how to accomplish this. Example: User hits a button on a Gyration remote, EventGhost grabs the HID event and then translates that to VCRIB as a command to DIM the lights.
Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:10 pm View user's profile Send private message
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
You just need to have EG drop a command line on the server where vcrib is running. VCCL.exe will put commands into vcrib. see wiki http://www.thevirtualcrib.com/wiki/index.php?title=Vccl, and CMDLine.exe will get them out of vcrib. http://www.vimeo.com/7072657

CMDLine and vccl will be in 0090+

vCrib Tester #1, Forum moderator, using INSTEON devices, X10 sensors and remotes via W800RF, All doors are wired with contact closures.
vCrib Wiki
Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:23 pm View user's profile Send private message
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
Humanzee wrote:
You just need to have EG drop a command line on the server where vcrib is running. VCCL.exe will put commands into vcrib. see wiki http://www.thevirtualcrib.com/wiki/index.php?title=Vccl, and CMDLine.exe will get them out of vcrib. http://www.vimeo.com/7072657

CMDLine and vccl will be in 0090+

Are you using this yet with vCrib Humanzee?

Clever image to be inserted here soon.... Smile
Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:09 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Eatmeimadanish

Post Reply with quote
Ok so lets wrap this up, right now we have the ability to create events using evetghost.exe -e EVENTNAME from vcrib using CMDLine.exe. So is a plugin worth the effort? All a plugin would do is fill Eventghost with events from vcrib that we could trigger macros for. However, EG would most likely be used 90% of the time as a controller of VCRIB through VCCL.exe (IE Dim the lights, unlock the front door, turn on air conditioning, etc...) However I am hardpressed to see VCRIB's value as a plugin for EG other than organizing the event structure (rooms with common events) however with the diversity that VCRIb offers, it would be next to impossible to create a VCRIB macro list in EG that would fit the majority of users most of the time and still require users to setup their own macros in EG.

CONCLUSION: I think we can safely say that the plugin is not necessary.
Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:28 am View user's profile Send private message
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
A plug in may not be necessary. I only learned enough about EventGhost to get it controlling my TV, AVR and HTPC off of one remote and then I have not played with it much. So, I personally have not integrated the command line tools with Event Ghost yet. EG just runs on the HTPC in the family room and vCrib is just running on the server for now.

Since I've been running beta's I haven't bothered setting up vCrib on the HTPC. I can't seem to keep the versions synchronized to a point where its worth it. Since EG automates things for the Home Theater, I don't really need vCrib doing that, and since vCrib automates the lighting in that Room, I don't really need EG doing that. I have a remote in there that can change the lighting, so unless I wanted to use only one remote control for both, its not that big a deal to me. What I may do is have EG communicate with vCrib to let it know when I want it to turn on the ApplianceLinc that is hooked up to the powered sub woofer. I could then turn it on and off based on the applications I am running. That's a bit nit picky though as I can do the same thing with just running a vCrib process on the HTPC and using that as a trigger for an Sub-woofer action on the server. I.e. if CMDLine.exe process is running on the HTPC then Turn ON sub-woofer. There are of course lots of things that I could do, but for the moment I don't need to do them. I need more Appliancelinc's and such to make it worth bothering with.

So, what I have done is play quite a bit with CMDLine.exe. I found a neat little command line tool called NirCMD http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd.html that can perform all kinds of computer tasks. I use it to turn on and off the Kitchen Computer monitor, or bring focus to different app windows etc. It's worth a download, the help file details all the stuff it can do, a real companion to CMDLine.exe. Otherwise, I use CMDLine.exe to have vCrib control SageTV and start the front door camera when there is front door motion etc. I also do things like run batch scripts to restart applications or do backups. Handy stuff

vCrib Tester #1, Forum moderator, using INSTEON devices, X10 sensors and remotes via W800RF, All doors are wired with contact closures.
vCrib Wiki
Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:23 pm View user's profile Send private message
Datahead

Post Any Progress on this thread??? Reply with quote
I was wondering if there has been any progress here with a Vcrib interface with Event Ghost? After playing with Vcrib for awhile now the thing I have noticed is that Vcrib has X-10 down to a science, however I could be wrong but the only input to Vcrib is X-10 / Insteon and the phidget inputs. Not that isn't cool mind you and I am in no way putting down Vcrib as I think it is miles ahead of most automation software out there. As to the Z=wave, I haven't messed with it much so I am not sure what it does.

I can use the CmdLine function in Vcrib to control triggers in Event Ghost, but there is no way to receive IR signals or Event Ghost commands in Vcrib. (I could be wrong about this, but so far I have not found a way.)

That being said with Event Ghost I can program IR from my Pronto remote or MX-850 and then set up triggers in Event Ghost for these IR Inputs using the USB-UIRT. Once these are established I can setup Macros in Event Ghost that these IR inputs would control. It would be cool to have an optional trigger on Vcrib Commands that are either IR Based or Event Ghost based. As I am not a programmer I am not sure how one would accomplish this, or how difficult it would be. In my opinion this would open up a whole new realm of control for Vcrib as it is a piece of cake to run IR through a house with the right equipment. Not to mention the interface possibilities.

In essence you could (or should be able to) walk around the house with one remote control and be able to control everything from that remote with these additions.

Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:40 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
not true on the vcrib inputs. The biggest is the command line utility, it allows any program that has command line access to send evnets, commands, etc into vcrib. So EventGhost is integrated as vCrib can send EG commands via EG's command line, and EG can do the same back to vCrib.

W800RF also does more than X10, VR, ZWave, bluetooth, GTalk are all custom ways of getting input... but the command line is like a generic one that allows many other misc 3rd party apps to talk to vcrib.

What I would like for EG integration is the automatic creation of Objects on one side when they are manually created on the other... a sync feature... basic control is already there though.

Vaughn

Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:58 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Eatmeimadanish

Post Reply with quote
I think I can write a plugin for eventghost to create objects automatically. I think if we prebuilt vCrib to include its objects we could at least create a starting point. For instance, I could create objects in EG for lighting controls, shades, doors, motion detectors etc. along with the logic to recieve events from vCrib as long as we decided on a consistant way of doing it. I think this would be a huge step toward also integrating the web controls into EG for vCrib.

I can probably turn this arround pretty rapidly in EG, but I am still a newb when it comes to setting up vCrib.
Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:14 am View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Feature Requests All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: