The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
DONE: RFID integration

Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Feature Requests View previous topic
View next topic
DONE: RFID integration
TheMan

Post DONE: RFID integration Reply with quote
Not sure if this is something that's already been integrated, but would be a great way to deal with locked doors and cabinets, room occupation, etc.
Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:21 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
This was considered for a while, unfortunately the cost and capability of the RFID systems available have been limiting. RFID doesn't have the range to effectively detect in many situations for occupant tracking. It could still be used for Locks though. We'll have to see where the tech goes. It may be viable to do something with a transponder technology to triangulate individual users locations. Think bluetooth location triangulation. Except, the first thing I do when I get home is set down my phone. It could still be used to identify users who are on site with tech you already own.
Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:19 pm View user's profile Send private message
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Yeah, RFID is only practical for a few things, even though there are different ranges available and different tag types. I can put support in for Phidgets RFID kit in with about 2-days notice, but I have no use for it, so if someone buys it, just ping me and I will code it.

Vaughn

Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:59 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
cadsii

Post Reply with quote
please do i hvae 3 phidgets rfid..

also x10 pro support?
can u use ahcmd.exe in some scripts to automate x10?
Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:05 pm View user's profile Send private message
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
cadsii wrote:
please do i hvae 3 phidgets rfid..

also x10 pro support?
can u use ahcmd.exe in some scripts to automate x10?

Ok, I will order a kit tomorrow. It will be a little while for me to get it coded, but I will get the hardware and look at it.

Vaughn

Sun Oct 14, 2007 7:38 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
cadsii

Post Reply with quote
i am currently running it with ms access & a door strike.. does all the logging / user access via db
Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:13 pm View user's profile Send private message
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
Hey Vaughn,

I was just curious if you ever ordered a phidgets rfid kit

I'm looking into different toys to add to my build and I think RFID would be pretty cool. yeah, it's complicated and not suitable for occupancy tracking, but maybe I can put a sensor outside of the house and do a setup like work.

ie...have the system arm/disarm via a rfid when I enter/leave the house. That would be very handy
Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:59 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Yeah, coding stopped around Christmas though, I will try to play with it very soon.

Vaughn

Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:26 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Ok, I got Phidgets RFID online and interfaced with vCrib. I am going to make a new device type for it, for now I just used the Remote Button template.

So a couple days of testing and I will release it. For reference, I did the whole project in about 20 minutes with only using cut & paste. It is getting easier to interface with each version...

Vaughn

Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:28 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
Dude, you rock.

I can't wait until I can afford some more hardware. There's tons of things that can be done with vCrib. I get giddy thinking about it, lol

Thanks!
Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:12 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Talryyn

Post Reply with quote
Look forward to trying this with a mag lock setup.
Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:30 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Feature Requests All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: