The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Environment modification based on occupation

Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Feature Requests View previous topic
View next topic
Environment modification based on occupation
TheMan

Post Environment modification based on occupation Reply with quote
It looks like something along this line is already involved, but I'll get my idea across while it's on the tip of my noodle. Conditional module that makes changes to the room that a person or persons are in when they enter.

If a single person enters a previously empty room at 5pm on a weekday, preset settings for that user get applied:
- lights come up to 70%
- Enigma's Infinite Sadness plays at 20% volume
- Coffee starts brewing
- room temp is raised to 70 degrees
- etc.
Then a second person enters. another set of settings gets applied. Common settings remain, agreed "compromises" get applied:
- lights get raised to 80%
- Enigma gets switched to Diana Krall "Live in Paris"

It's a complex module and much more complex administrative interface, but worthwhile.
Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:26 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
Awesome, love it

I think Bill Gates has something just like this using RFID buttons or something in his clothes. The flat screens on the walls that are used to look like paintings, change to the ones he likes, etc.

Crazy stuff, but very personal
Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:44 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
This could probably be done already some of the with existing capabilities. I myself have not started doing the occupant tracking or security mode stuff yet. But theoretically Vcrib will know how many occupants are in your house at any one time based on your user input or sensor linking as Vaughn has hinted at. Then it can usually deduce which rooms are contain those people based on motion and the order of that motion. Figuring out who is where would depend to some degree on your RFID thing or maybe eventually facial / feature recognition if your rooms are monitored. Vaughn has mentioned before that the occupant tracking accuracy starts to fall apart when the number of occupants rises.

I've noticed that some things can be predicted well enough to change some of the environmental conditions based on time of day. Etc. I pushed Vaughn to get the sunrise sunset thing figured out so that I could use my lighting more effectively. I made a series of Time Range triggers, from SUNSET to 10 PM the lighting come on at 100% at 10 the wife usually goes to sleep so default ON light levels get reduced. After midnight, they come on at an even lower level just to keep the toes from being stubbed. The wife also gets up before I do so I could theoretically change things based on that knowledge etc.

So right now I alter my lighting based on Time of day, but it could just as easily be modified by occupancy +1 or something else. I park on one side of the garage, and she the other so based on which garage door opens first in the afternoon, I could determine who is home, and change something. Vaughn has a DS10A hooked to the park position of his gear shifter so that things can change based on his eminent arrival etc. There are lots of things on the horizon with the use variables to do things like this. Vaughn walked me through a little of it the other day. I've got 4 doors that exit my Garage. I wanted a way to know if all 4 of those doors were closed and secure so we made a variable called GARAGE_ORIFICE and set it to 0. Then when a door opens the variable gets modified adding 1. When a door closes GARAGE_ORIFICE = GARAGE_ORIFICE - 1 etc. Then you know that if GARAGE_ORIFICE = 0 you are secure. Else your 11pm status check could tell you that 3 doors are open etc. These variable aren't quite there yet though, there is some work to be done on how a change in a variable is perceived as an event. My GARAGE_ORIFICE thing worked, except the updates were happening every minute instead of on a change.
Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:26 am View user's profile Send private message
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
In the version 0.0.4.4, the first phase of the new occupancy system is in. To use it, click Map Edit, then drag one motion detector to another. It will link them and that determines the orders they will trigger as occupants move around.

Don't even ask how to use that data yet, I will let you know as I get the events in place so you the new data. Just letting you know it is in progress and maybe give some feedback on the graphical bugs with it (it does not respect walls when drawing the connections and the lines get hidden under photocell graphics, etc =)

Vaughn

Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:06 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
TheMan

Post Addition to the idea Reply with quote
I do have a unique, effective and interesting way to make this work the way I had defined. AND I have the hardware required. You probably do, too...

I just need to get my hands on the code!

I'll write the code, anyhow.

-Me-
Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:53 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Re: Addition to the idea Reply with quote
TheMan wrote:
I do have a unique, effective and interesting way to make this work the way I had defined. AND I have the hardware required. You probably do, too...

I just need to get my hands on the code!

I'll write the code, anyhow.

-Me-

Give me a few clues as to what you are talking about hardware and software wise. Not sure which app your code would even go in. Also, you can code it now without source. Read the Device, User or Location tables, use your formulas then insert the results back in the DB. Anyone can code any app now, short of dcumentation hurdles, etc.

If you have any questions about the DB structure let me know. I can toss out source for an application that I am not currently coding on so you at least have examples of conneting to the DB and creating devices or something...

This could be a perfect fit though, I put in the data for these types of algorithms, but have not coded in the logic yet, so your code would not conflict. Again tell me more and I will guide you through the project... Just looking at my code will only confuse you, it is uncommented. We have to understand that vCrib IS the DB, not the apps, anyone can replace any app or add new apps. I am trying to eliminate the apps even as I get more of the logic in the DB. Since you have the DB, there really is nothing you can't code for vCrib.

Working with other developers on vCrib is a new experience for me and I am not trying to define or limit how this will work in the future, just setting a starting point. So lets go through it and see how it goes... Do you even have vCrib running yet and understand how occupancy and locations are working now? I would say that is a must before the code will make sense or the DB will play nice with new code.

I look forward to this! Let me know what app you need source for the most.

Vaughn

Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:25 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Feature Requests All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: