The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
COMING: Simple Timer

Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Feature Requests View previous topic
View next topic
COMING: Simple Timer
Humanzee

Post COMING: Simple Timer Reply with quote
We need a simple timer to use in such instances where we want something to happen with a certain delay. I.e. Bathroom fan, auto Door lock, Similary to the occupancy timers but with out a dependant location.

EVENT: Timer_name START
EVENT: Timer_name END

TRIGGER: Trigger_name START | Type: Event Timer | VARIABLE: timer_name |
TRIGGER: Trigger_name END | etc.

COMMAND: timer_name STOP | to prematurely abandon the timer or jump to 00:00

VARIABLE: Timer_name = HH:MM

EVENT SCREEN: Add "Triggers Timer" and select box for Timer_name

or something.
Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:08 pm View user's profile Send private message
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I will code a timer feature, not sure it will look like that, but will probably be close. Triggers and Actions are getting rewritten, so have to factor in the impact.

Vaughn

Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:01 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
Now that I understand the way time works with the queue's I see that this is a little tricky. See new feature request "Execution Time"

I guess the problem with Execution Time for timers is that some timers you will want to update/refresh/cancel before they execute, which would mean that you need to modify or remove the commands from the command queue.

You could use a virtual location for a pseudo timer now, but the naming of events would be confusing. I would think that the code could be re-used, if you wanted to consider a timer an Object. New Device Type Timer with the same function as Location but with different labels. / Timer Started / Timer End

Then you could do.

Bathroom Occupied Triggers commands "Light ON" and "Bathroom Timer Start"
Then Action 2
Command Bathroom Fan ON trigged by "Bathroom Timer End" Qualified by condition. "Bathroom Status = Occupied"
Then add
Fan OFF to the Bathroom Vacancy action.

That way the fan only comes on if the room is still occupied at Bathroom Timer End. Further the time out value can be updated with a command just like location. So you could make your timers adjustable etc.

vCrib Tester #1, Forum moderator, using INSTEON devices, X10 sensors and remotes via W800RF, All doors are wired with contact closures.
vCrib Wiki
Tue Nov 20, 2007 3:20 pm View user's profile Send private message
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
I think one of the limitations we have now is that you can not reference many Object properties via Commands & Conditions. So basically there is now way to say Object.lastupdated > NOW - 3 minutes.

I don't want to move everything to variables like we are doing with Date & Day of week. Currently in conditions and commands you can use [VARIABLE=Sunset] so I think we need to add [Device.LastUpdated=Kitchen] and that would parse out as the Date and Time that the Kitchen device was last updated, then you could use that value in your logic. I think this needs to be done, and maybe we should finish this and see where that leaves us and then decide what else concerning the occupancy timer is left.

I think the things I will try to expose are:

Object.Vacancy_Timer
Object.Dim_Level
Object.Last_Updated
Object.Status

Then the new variables will be:

Date
Day_Of_Week

New operators will be:
[NOW]
[SECONDS=xx]
[MINUTES=xx]
[HOURS=xx]
[DAYS=xx]

With these you could make a condition that says

IF [OBJECT.LAST_UPDATED=Kitchen] > [NOW] - [MINUTES=3]

etc... I will have to document these because the GUI gives you no clue about these.... Basically we are building a custom script language as we go and I need the format to be intuative... So I would like some feedback.

For example, instead of the hours, minutes etc, you would use this:
[D HH:MM:SS] so the example above would look like this
IF [OBJECT.LAST_UPDATED=Kitchen] > [NOW] - [0 00:03:00]

Ah.... we will come up with something =) Back to work for me...

Tue Nov 20, 2007 4:08 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
Does vCrib support a time function as well? I know this thread was about timers, but I figured they were somewhat related.

For instance, I want to use my x10 chime to wake me up. I want to be able to fire it off at a set time. Or create an alarm clock mode for vCrib (sleep?)
Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:52 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
SnyperBob

Post Reply with quote
ok, nevermind about my time comment. I just saw that it's already in the program.

I'm going to start a new thread about this, thanks guys
Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:52 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Feature Requests All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: