The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
Stuck at square 1

Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Virtual Crib general discussion View previous topic
View next topic
Stuck at square 1
dgable64

Post Stuck at square 1 Reply with quote
Hey all,

I'm starting with vCrib for the first time and I've run into a roadblock. I followed all install instructions for 0.0.5.2, looked over the FAQ's, watched Vaughn's video, etc. The problem is my screen isn't looking like his.

When I bring up the vCrib GUI, I was able to set up a "Downstairs" map like in the video. But when I go to the Locations tab, all I get on the right-hand side is the device adding, nothing about locations as shown in the video. Also, when I try to add a user, nothing happens when I click the add button.

I installed into c:\MyProgramFiles\vCrib rather than the default, could that still be a problem?

Also, I don't see any info anywhere on how to install controllers. Are all the various drivers built in to vCrib? I'm using an X10 CM15A to get started and I have the old ActiveHome drivers on my machine, but I don't see how to tell vCrib about the controller. Is there something else I need to do?

Thanks,

Dave

P.S. I'm a Java developer and would love to get some info on hooking up a Java interface. Could I just use JDBC, and if so, do you have some docs on the protocol? I'd love to help where I can.
Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:49 am View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Sorry, the video is out of date. Shortly after that, much of the Location and User systems were merged into the Object table. All the videos are out of date now. I really need help with documentation, I am overloaded.

As for controllers, they would run their own interface application, so there would be a X10.exe or something like that in your case. I started with a CM15A and interfaced it in no time, but not many people use that controller, so I upgraded an Insteon controller that also does X10. After a while I dropped support for the CM15a and its code is out of date.

I think more people would rather see me work on the CM11a over the CM15a. Personally, I would like to support them all, but there is so little time. I would help anyone cared to work on the interface, but I do not have time to do the code myself right now. I gave the CM15A away, so I can't really test it.

I will try to make a new video, but I think it will be about a week before I can get to it though. =( I will also try to dig up my CM15A cade and see how bad off it is and will post it... As for LOCATIONS, add a new Object with the Device Type of Location...

Vaughn

Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:49 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
dgable64

Post Progress Reply with quote
Thanks, Vaughn. Got the location thing figured out. I'd be glad to help update your documentation, and I'll start by posting a reply to the forum where I saw the video. My only issue is I don't really know the system well. I'll write up what I can, then run it by you, ok? I should be able to pull a lot of stuff from the forums.

As for the CM15A, I'd be glad to take a look at it. I've looked at the X10 protocol in the past, but I don't have much device driver experience. What kind of dev environment will I need?

Thanks for your help,

Dave
Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:53 pm View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
Cool. As for Docs, feel free to run any questions about the system by me or Humanzee via IM or email. I use vaughnrupp@ yahoo & hotmail. I prefer hotmail for IM and yahoo for email.

As for the CM15a, X10 provides a OCX for Visual Basic, so there is no low level coding. It is just like this:

Set oActiveHome = New ActiveHomeScriptLib.ActiveHome
oActiveHome.SendAction "sendplc", " c4 OFF"

Thats it! How easy is that. I found my cm15 code, it is OLD! It was funny looking at how far it has come. I will attach a picture. Point is, it might be easier to start from scratch. The Event and Command routines will be nearly identical to Insteon's, so I imagine it is only a couple days work with testing and all... I hope the CM11a is that easy when I get to it...

Vaughn

vcrib.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  161.46 KB
 Viewed:  13333 Time(s)

vcrib.jpg

Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:31 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
iV001

Post Reply with quote
I know this thread is kinda of old, but i'd like to get to CM15 working. (The link isn't working anymore)

I have a bunch (near 100) of X10 stock and i'd like to have it tested with vCrib before investing anymore money.

Thanks ..

PS: For international weather, maybe you should take a look at accuweather. they have an easy coding format and it's international (NAM|US|FL|MIAMI)
Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:46 pm View user's profile Send private message
CribKeeper
Site Admin

Post Reply with quote
The CM15A should be including in the main install. Do you have v0090 running? I will be happy to work on the CM15a with you if you have any issues.

Vaughn

Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:49 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Virtual Crib general discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: