The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index
RegisterSearchFAQMemberlistUsergroupsLog in
BlueTooth Caller ID

Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Feature Requests View previous topic
View next topic
BlueTooth Caller ID
Humanzee

Post BlueTooth Caller ID Reply with quote
BlueTooth Caller ID should be added to TAPI.exe for voice announcements. I already have an XLink so its not an issue for me once I find a modem to use but still a good idea.

vCrib Tester #1, Forum moderator, using INSTEON devices, X10 sensors and remotes via W800RF, All doors are wired with contact closures.
vCrib Wiki
Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:48 pm View user's profile Send private message
TheMan

Post Reply with quote
'tis a good idea and should be able to handle multiple bluetooth paired phones. I personally have the bluetooth capable Uniden landline as well as several bluetooth capable phones in my house.

Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:23 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
d_sellers1

Post Reply with quote
How many devices can a Bluetooth receiver connect to? Phones that I've had in the past would only maintain one connection. If I had my earpeice connected and then go to sync with something, it would drop my earpeice. Perhaps the newer devices can support more (Bluetooth 2.0 perhaps).

Would it be possible to have a Bluetooth network, so to speak. Basically have more than one Bluetooth receiver and then hopefully the phone will switch between them as needed. Somehow I have a feeling that it will not swap to a stronger connection until the current one is completely lost so that might be something to consider.

Regardless of how it is implemented, any kind of Bluetooth connectivity would be nice even if it means that I have to leave my phone in a certain area to have it "sync" to the house.

Derek
Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:58 pm View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
TheMan

Post Reply with quote
I have a Treo 700W which will pair with as many devices as you have, however, depending on the protocol used, it could be limited to one connecting per protocol. For instance, if you have a headset, it will only connect with one headset at a time, but that just makes basic sense since the idea of a headset on a phone is for voice input (talking on the phone. Although there is a conference phone that has 6 BT headsets (but it was designed for that).

Just for clarification (and no insult) all bluetooth connections are tranceivers (receive and transmit). On that note, if your bluetooth (BT) dongle is a class 1 BT 2.0 device you have up to 100 meters of range (provided there are no obstructions). Class 2 BT 2.0 is 22 meters (or 30, I forget). Either way though, if you have BT dongle or access point (AP) centrally located in your house, unless you have more money than most of us here, it will always be within 22 meters of your phone while you're home.

As for me, when I get home I generally put my mobile down and leave it, unless I'm the only one home and need to be away from it's resting location, then I bring it to close to where I'm going and leave it there. Connectivity to the central BT AP shouldn't be an issue.

Having this option of BT enabled CallerID brings up a couple of other options:
- House wide hands free
* either through microphones located around the house or BT headsets paired with central BT AP
- Voice dialing
* based on the availability of the above hands free system

Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:47 am View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Humanzee

Post Reply with quote
Though those ranges may be in the spec, I doubt you'll actually get that kind of range consistently. It varies quite a bit from device to device. My current phone is pretty good, I can connect with my XLink http://www.xlinkgateway.com/bttn.html gateway from most locations in the house, my wifes phone, on the other hand, sucks and sounds horrible from a mere 5 ft away. 22 meters is what like 65-70 feet. I'm guessing with walls and obstructions you can expect more like 15-20 ft. Still, I set my phone down to charge when I get home and that would be within range of the bluetooth on my pc. If I were carrying my phone around the house, there would be less of a chance of actually needing the CallerID announced throughout the house anyway. So if it were intermittent based on range of your device, so be it.

vCrib Tester #1, Forum moderator, using INSTEON devices, X10 sensors and remotes via W800RF, All doors are wired with contact closures.
vCrib Wiki
Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:10 pm View user's profile Send private message
Reply to topic    The Virtual Crib - Home Automation Software Forum Index » Feature Requests All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: